Nov 21, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Unfortunately, there haven’t been any updates in the last hour, but the New York Islanders faced a much tougher situation than continuing their losing streak (which they did) today. Defenseman Mike Mottau was taken to the hospital after a puck struck him in the eye, according to Katie Strang.
Again, I haven’t heard an update on Mottau’s condition since Strang’s update, but we’ll keep an eye on the situation as news trickles in.
To give you some perspective (without seeing a clip of the injury), eye injuries have been career-ending or career-altering events for a handful of players. Steve Yzerman and Al MacInnis were forced into early retirement because of eye injuries, while Bryan Berard went from a bright young defenseman to a marginal NHL player after a brutal stick to the eye.
Does this mean that Mottau’s career is over? By no means, but it’s difficult not to worry if this might impact his career (or even his vision off the ice) permanently. We’ll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best, but it’s a scary situation to say the least.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)