Nov 21, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Unfortunately, there haven’t been any updates in the last hour, but the New York Islanders faced a much tougher situation than continuing their losing streak (which they did) today. Defenseman Mike Mottau was taken to the hospital after a puck struck him in the eye, according to Katie Strang.
Again, I haven’t heard an update on Mottau’s condition since Strang’s update, but we’ll keep an eye on the situation as news trickles in.
To give you some perspective (without seeing a clip of the injury), eye injuries have been career-ending or career-altering events for a handful of players. Steve Yzerman and Al MacInnis were forced into early retirement because of eye injuries, while Bryan Berard went from a bright young defenseman to a marginal NHL player after a brutal stick to the eye.
Does this mean that Mottau’s career is over? By no means, but it’s difficult not to worry if this might impact his career (or even his vision off the ice) permanently. We’ll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best, but it’s a scary situation to say the least.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 34
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)