Nov 21, 2010, 7:52 PM EST
Unfortunately, there haven’t been any updates in the last hour, but the New York Islanders faced a much tougher situation than continuing their losing streak (which they did) today. Defenseman Mike Mottau was taken to the hospital after a puck struck him in the eye, according to Katie Strang.
Again, I haven’t heard an update on Mottau’s condition since Strang’s update, but we’ll keep an eye on the situation as news trickles in.
To give you some perspective (without seeing a clip of the injury), eye injuries have been career-ending or career-altering events for a handful of players. Steve Yzerman and Al MacInnis were forced into early retirement because of eye injuries, while Bryan Berard went from a bright young defenseman to a marginal NHL player after a brutal stick to the eye.
Does this mean that Mottau’s career is over? By no means, but it’s difficult not to worry if this might impact his career (or even his vision off the ice) permanently. We’ll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best, but it’s a scary situation to say the least.
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)