Nov 21, 2010, 3:54 PM EDT
The Flyers were able to clear their farms system of a problem child while bringing back a familiar name from last season. In a deal that features players more likely to see time in the AHL, the Flyers sent forwards Pat Maroon and David Laliberte to the Anaheim Ducks for defenseman Danny Syvret and forward Rob Bordson.
The name you’ll likely know in this deal is Danny Syvret who spent time last year with the Flyers and saw some time in the NHL throughout the year. Syvret signed with Anaheim as a free agent in the off-season but with the young defensemen in Anaheim rising through the ranks, Syvret saw his chances of cracking the Ducks lineup disappear fast.Returning him to Philadelphia (or Adirondack as it was) gives him a team to be more comfortable with.
Meanwhile, the story with Pat Maroon is a bit more interesting as Ryan Bright of PhilaBright shares with us.
The trade was accelerated by the organization’s need to move Maroon, who was the Phantoms’ top forward, with five goals and three assist in his first nine games. However, clashes with then coach Greg Gilbert, forced the organization to send Maroon home to await relocation. Gilbert was also eventually fired.
Cleaning house in Adirondack was necessary as the Phantoms are 3-14-2 this season. Trading out a headache for familiarity at the organizational level can sometimes be all you need.
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 5
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 10
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 18
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles