Nov 20, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
If you want summaries of Friday’s first five games, click here.
Craig Anderson played about as well as one could expect in his debut from injury, although I guess he would have preferred it if he earned a shutout (the Rangers finally scored about six minutes into the third period). Matt Duchene might have been the true star of this game, though, scoring a goal and adding two assists.
Did something wake Ray Whitney up, or are the bounces finally going his way? Sandwiched in between a goose egg against Calgary, Whitney scored three goals and two assists against the St. Louis Blues and tonight’s three assist performance against the Oilers. (That’s two games in which Whitney was involved in every goal the Coyotes scored. The oddest part is that the other Whitney – Edmonton’s Ryan Whitney – factored into two of the Oilers’ goals.)
Devan Dubnyk played well in Nikolai Khabibulin’s wake, stopping 39 out of 42 shots before succumbing to Phoenix in a shootout. Want to see the clinching shootout goal? Yes you do. Here it is, via Eric Belanger (it figures that he has a great day on one of Washington’s worst, right?).
The Calgary Flames crushed the Chicago Blackhawks on the strength of Jarome Iginla’s hat trick. The question is: does this mean that the Flames are showing signs of life or that the Blackhawks are in for a long season? Sadly for Chitown fans, I have a bad feeling that I might lean toward the latter. They’re obviously still a talented team, but they need to get used to ups and downs after dominating much of last season.
Since sinking to 3-3 after a 6-2 loss to Calgary, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been on a hot streak, going 8-3 in their last 11 games. Doing his Carey Price impression lately, Steve Mason is turning his career around, as evidenced by stopping 47 out of a whopping 50 shots to help the team cling to a one goal win. He stood out the most in a considerably one-sided third period, allowing only one goal by Corey Perry despite the fact that the Ducks out-shot the Blue Jackets 25-3.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)