Nov 20, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
This news can be good news or bad news depending on how you look at it.
Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that doctors recommended that Martin Brodeur rest his elbow for “approximately 10 days” after he got an MRI on Friday. Apparently Lou Lamoriello passed along word that he should “do nothing for the next four or five days to get the swelling down.” (Surely this will produce jokes about him not being able to lift hamburgers, or something.)
The oddest bit of information is that doctors apparently said that the rest should last for a “maximum of two weeks.”
Considering how often Brodeur plays when he is healthy, New Jersey would be wise to give him plenty of time to recover. Here are a few more details about the MRI and his injury situation, via Rich Chere.
Brodeur had an MRI and has been told to rest his bruised right elbow for approximately 10 days.
That would mean he’d be out until early December and would likely miss at least five games. The Devils play the Montreal Canadiens at home on Dec. 2, which is surely a game Brodeur will not want to miss.
“He had an MRI yesterday. He was examined by all our own doctors, including the doctors that did the surgery on his other arm,” Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said today. “Every MRI was negative. There is nothing structurally (damaged) there.”
So it sounds like he’ll be out between 10 and 14 days, but these things can change. We’ll keep you updated as Brodeur approaches his return.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)