Nov 20, 2010, 3:34 PM EST
This news can be good news or bad news depending on how you look at it.
Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that doctors recommended that Martin Brodeur rest his elbow for “approximately 10 days” after he got an MRI on Friday. Apparently Lou Lamoriello passed along word that he should “do nothing for the next four or five days to get the swelling down.” (Surely this will produce jokes about him not being able to lift hamburgers, or something.)
The oddest bit of information is that doctors apparently said that the rest should last for a “maximum of two weeks.”
Considering how often Brodeur plays when he is healthy, New Jersey would be wise to give him plenty of time to recover. Here are a few more details about the MRI and his injury situation, via Rich Chere.
Brodeur had an MRI and has been told to rest his bruised right elbow for approximately 10 days.
That would mean he’d be out until early December and would likely miss at least five games. The Devils play the Montreal Canadiens at home on Dec. 2, which is surely a game Brodeur will not want to miss.
“He had an MRI yesterday. He was examined by all our own doctors, including the doctors that did the surgery on his other arm,” Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said today. “Every MRI was negative. There is nothing structurally (damaged) there.”
So it sounds like he’ll be out between 10 and 14 days, but these things can change. We’ll keep you updated as Brodeur approaches his return.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)