Nov 19, 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
There are plenty of situations in which fans second-guess referees and NHL executives. Any hook, slash or whatever other infraction (or improper call) can drive biased parties batty.
Yet the times when these debates rest under the spotlight come when a goal goes under review, especially in the case of the dreaded “intent to blow” loophole. It seems like every league has its own fan-frustrating rule; who can forget the controversy over the NFL’s “tuck rule” when a Tom Brady fumble was called back?
Who knows what the real story was behind tonight’s big goal under review, but the bottom line is that the officials/video crew in Toronto decided to award a Chris Kunitz power-play goal that was originally disallowed. That tally gave the Pittsburgh Penguins a 4-3 lead they would later cough up to the Carolina Hurricanes after Jussi Jokinen scored, which perhaps will limit the amount of controversy. Ultimately, the game came down to a shootout won by the Pens, but it was still a pretty big goal at the time.
Check out the goal below and decide for yourself if it was the right call. Did it seem like the official was about to blow the whistle (or “intended” to blow it) before the puck crossed the goal line? Could it be that the officials/league were influenced by the fact that Penguins fans could see replays without the intent-to-blow context? Let us know in the comments.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)