Nov 19, 2010, 10:45 PM EDT
There are plenty of situations in which fans second-guess referees and NHL executives. Any hook, slash or whatever other infraction (or improper call) can drive biased parties batty.
Yet the times when these debates rest under the spotlight come when a goal goes under review, especially in the case of the dreaded “intent to blow” loophole. It seems like every league has its own fan-frustrating rule; who can forget the controversy over the NFL’s “tuck rule” when a Tom Brady fumble was called back?
Who knows what the real story was behind tonight’s big goal under review, but the bottom line is that the officials/video crew in Toronto decided to award a Chris Kunitz power-play goal that was originally disallowed. That tally gave the Pittsburgh Penguins a 4-3 lead they would later cough up to the Carolina Hurricanes after Jussi Jokinen scored, which perhaps will limit the amount of controversy. Ultimately, the game came down to a shootout won by the Pens, but it was still a pretty big goal at the time.
Check out the goal below and decide for yourself if it was the right call. Did it seem like the official was about to blow the whistle (or “intended” to blow it) before the puck crossed the goal line? Could it be that the officials/league were influenced by the fact that Penguins fans could see replays without the intent-to-blow context? Let us know in the comments.
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 0
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 16
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 14
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger