Nov 18, 2010, 2:01 PM EST
Earlier this afternoon, we passed along news that Tampa Bay Lightning forward Mattias Ritola received a two-game suspension for a hit on New York Islanders forward Matt Moulson.
The problem was that we weren’t able to find any video evidence of the hit.
As the league tends to do, the suspension was handed down and then the video became available. As you can see from the clip posted at the bottom of this article, Ritola hit Moulson from behind/the side and clearly left his feet for a second to administer the hit.
It strikes me as a less violent version of the Niklas Hjalmarsson hit on Jason Pominville from earlier this season. The thing that really made it an easy suspension was how prone Moulson was in that situation and the fact that Ritola left his feet.
Do you think the suspension was appropriate? Or was it too long or too short? Let us know in the comments.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)