Nov 18, 2010, 2:01 PM EST
Earlier this afternoon, we passed along news that Tampa Bay Lightning forward Mattias Ritola received a two-game suspension for a hit on New York Islanders forward Matt Moulson.
The problem was that we weren’t able to find any video evidence of the hit.
As the league tends to do, the suspension was handed down and then the video became available. As you can see from the clip posted at the bottom of this article, Ritola hit Moulson from behind/the side and clearly left his feet for a second to administer the hit.
It strikes me as a less violent version of the Niklas Hjalmarsson hit on Jason Pominville from earlier this season. The thing that really made it an easy suspension was how prone Moulson was in that situation and the fact that Ritola left his feet.
Do you think the suspension was appropriate? Or was it too long or too short? Let us know in the comments.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 13
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 11
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 60
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (60)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)