Nov 18, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
Earlier this afternoon, we passed along news that Tampa Bay Lightning forward Mattias Ritola received a two-game suspension for a hit on New York Islanders forward Matt Moulson.
The problem was that we weren’t able to find any video evidence of the hit.
As the league tends to do, the suspension was handed down and then the video became available. As you can see from the clip posted at the bottom of this article, Ritola hit Moulson from behind/the side and clearly left his feet for a second to administer the hit.
It strikes me as a less violent version of the Niklas Hjalmarsson hit on Jason Pominville from earlier this season. The thing that really made it an easy suspension was how prone Moulson was in that situation and the fact that Ritola left his feet.
Do you think the suspension was appropriate? Or was it too long or too short? Let us know in the comments.
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 1
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 18
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 13
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)