Nov 18, 2010, 10:54 PM EDT
If you didn’t know any better, you would’ve thought that tonight’s game between the Flyers and Lightning was played in a simpler, more fun era of hockey. A day when scoring dominated the scene and getting good goaltending meant having a goals against average around 3.00.
That’s right, these two teams dialed it back to 1987 and we’re pretty sure that starting goalies Dan Ellis and Sergei Bobrovsky would’ve loved to finish the night with a GAA of 3.00 as they were torched for eight goals in the first period alone. Ellis was pulled after giving up four and Mike Smith entered the game and promptly gave up a fifth goal. The period ended with the Flyers holding a 5-4 lead, combining for a stunning nine goals in the first period.
The Lightning would get the last laugh thanks to Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis each netting a five-point night with Stamkos getting a hat trick and two assists while St. Louis was the king of all playmakers getting five assists. Brian Boucher relieved the possibly overworked Bobrovsky after the first and stayed around long enough to give up four goals of his own en route to the loss.
If you missed out on all the wild action, don’t worry we’ve got you covered with all nine goals in the first.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 0
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 43
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 26
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)