Nov 18, 2010, 10:54 PM EDT
If you didn’t know any better, you would’ve thought that tonight’s game between the Flyers and Lightning was played in a simpler, more fun era of hockey. A day when scoring dominated the scene and getting good goaltending meant having a goals against average around 3.00.
That’s right, these two teams dialed it back to 1987 and we’re pretty sure that starting goalies Dan Ellis and Sergei Bobrovsky would’ve loved to finish the night with a GAA of 3.00 as they were torched for eight goals in the first period alone. Ellis was pulled after giving up four and Mike Smith entered the game and promptly gave up a fifth goal. The period ended with the Flyers holding a 5-4 lead, combining for a stunning nine goals in the first period.
The Lightning would get the last laugh thanks to Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis each netting a five-point night with Stamkos getting a hat trick and two assists while St. Louis was the king of all playmakers getting five assists. Brian Boucher relieved the possibly overworked Bobrovsky after the first and stayed around long enough to give up four goals of his own en route to the loss.
If you missed out on all the wild action, don’t worry we’ve got you covered with all nine goals in the first.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)