Nov 18, 2010, 10:54 PM EDT
If you didn’t know any better, you would’ve thought that tonight’s game between the Flyers and Lightning was played in a simpler, more fun era of hockey. A day when scoring dominated the scene and getting good goaltending meant having a goals against average around 3.00.
That’s right, these two teams dialed it back to 1987 and we’re pretty sure that starting goalies Dan Ellis and Sergei Bobrovsky would’ve loved to finish the night with a GAA of 3.00 as they were torched for eight goals in the first period alone. Ellis was pulled after giving up four and Mike Smith entered the game and promptly gave up a fifth goal. The period ended with the Flyers holding a 5-4 lead, combining for a stunning nine goals in the first period.
The Lightning would get the last laugh thanks to Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis each netting a five-point night with Stamkos getting a hat trick and two assists while St. Louis was the king of all playmakers getting five assists. Brian Boucher relieved the possibly overworked Bobrovsky after the first and stayed around long enough to give up four goals of his own en route to the loss.
If you missed out on all the wild action, don’t worry we’ve got you covered with all nine goals in the first.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)