Nov 18, 2010, 10:54 PM EST
If you didn’t know any better, you would’ve thought that tonight’s game between the Flyers and Lightning was played in a simpler, more fun era of hockey. A day when scoring dominated the scene and getting good goaltending meant having a goals against average around 3.00.
That’s right, these two teams dialed it back to 1987 and we’re pretty sure that starting goalies Dan Ellis and Sergei Bobrovsky would’ve loved to finish the night with a GAA of 3.00 as they were torched for eight goals in the first period alone. Ellis was pulled after giving up four and Mike Smith entered the game and promptly gave up a fifth goal. The period ended with the Flyers holding a 5-4 lead, combining for a stunning nine goals in the first period.
The Lightning would get the last laugh thanks to Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis each netting a five-point night with Stamkos getting a hat trick and two assists while St. Louis was the king of all playmakers getting five assists. Brian Boucher relieved the possibly overworked Bobrovsky after the first and stayed around long enough to give up four goals of his own en route to the loss.
If you missed out on all the wild action, don’t worry we’ve got you covered with all nine goals in the first.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)