Nov 18, 2010, 10:54 PM EDT
If you didn’t know any better, you would’ve thought that tonight’s game between the Flyers and Lightning was played in a simpler, more fun era of hockey. A day when scoring dominated the scene and getting good goaltending meant having a goals against average around 3.00.
That’s right, these two teams dialed it back to 1987 and we’re pretty sure that starting goalies Dan Ellis and Sergei Bobrovsky would’ve loved to finish the night with a GAA of 3.00 as they were torched for eight goals in the first period alone. Ellis was pulled after giving up four and Mike Smith entered the game and promptly gave up a fifth goal. The period ended with the Flyers holding a 5-4 lead, combining for a stunning nine goals in the first period.
The Lightning would get the last laugh thanks to Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis each netting a five-point night with Stamkos getting a hat trick and two assists while St. Louis was the king of all playmakers getting five assists. Brian Boucher relieved the possibly overworked Bobrovsky after the first and stayed around long enough to give up four goals of his own en route to the loss.
If you missed out on all the wild action, don’t worry we’ve got you covered with all nine goals in the first.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)