Nov 18, 2010, 3:17 PM EST
After a great start to the season, things have gone sour in Edmonton. The Oilers announced that they placed starting goalie Nikolai Khabibulin on the injured reserve because he is suffering from a groin injury. They need two goalies, though, so they called up veteran goalie Martin Gerber from the minors.
It’s unclear how long Khabibulin will be on the mend, but groin injuries can often take a long time to heal.
Perhaps the Oilers won’t miss the star-crossed Russian that much, though. He’s had his fair share of high moments, but lately he’s been awful. In the last four games, Khabibulin allowed 22 goals and was pulled from two of those contests. His overall record (4-10-1), 87.9 save percentage and 4.07 GAA fall well short of what one would expect from a highly paid goalie.
Edmonton now must rely on Gerber and Devan Dubnyk in net. You really never know in a league in which goalies seem to sprout up out of nowhere, but my guess is that the Oilers will find themselves with yet another lottery pick once this season is over.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 62
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)