Nov 18, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
After a great start to the season, things have gone sour in Edmonton. The Oilers announced that they placed starting goalie Nikolai Khabibulin on the injured reserve because he is suffering from a groin injury. They need two goalies, though, so they called up veteran goalie Martin Gerber from the minors.
It’s unclear how long Khabibulin will be on the mend, but groin injuries can often take a long time to heal.
Perhaps the Oilers won’t miss the star-crossed Russian that much, though. He’s had his fair share of high moments, but lately he’s been awful. In the last four games, Khabibulin allowed 22 goals and was pulled from two of those contests. His overall record (4-10-1), 87.9 save percentage and 4.07 GAA fall well short of what one would expect from a highly paid goalie.
Edmonton now must rely on Gerber and Devan Dubnyk in net. You really never know in a league in which goalies seem to sprout up out of nowhere, but my guess is that the Oilers will find themselves with yet another lottery pick once this season is over.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)