Nov 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EST
To the surprise of few, the NHL decided to suspend Calgary Flames forward Olli Jokinen. It’s unclear what determined the number of games (many will joke that they spun a Wheel of Justice, much like TV’s Wheel of Fortune or that huge awesome one on the Price is Right), but the league handed Jokinen a three game suspension for that cross-check on Wojtek Wolski.
(Here’s a link to the original post on this subject.)
Jokinen will miss the Flames’ next three games – Nov. 19 vs. the Chicago Blackhawks, Nov. 21 at the Detroit Red Wings and Nov. 22 at New York Rangers. He is eligible to return Nov. 24 as the Flames take on the New Jersey Devils in Newark.
According to NHL.com’s estimates, he’ll lose $48,387.09 in salary from the suspension, which will be given to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Here is a video of the senseless hit. After viewing the video, please participate in our poll to determine whether or not the suspension length was appropriate.
And here is the poll.
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 0
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 5
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 4
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 22
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 30
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2