Nov 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
To the surprise of few, the NHL decided to suspend Calgary Flames forward Olli Jokinen. It’s unclear what determined the number of games (many will joke that they spun a Wheel of Justice, much like TV’s Wheel of Fortune or that huge awesome one on the Price is Right), but the league handed Jokinen a three game suspension for that cross-check on Wojtek Wolski.
(Here’s a link to the original post on this subject.)
Jokinen will miss the Flames’ next three games – Nov. 19 vs. the Chicago Blackhawks, Nov. 21 at the Detroit Red Wings and Nov. 22 at New York Rangers. He is eligible to return Nov. 24 as the Flames take on the New Jersey Devils in Newark.
According to NHL.com’s estimates, he’ll lose $48,387.09 in salary from the suspension, which will be given to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Here is a video of the senseless hit. After viewing the video, please participate in our poll to determine whether or not the suspension length was appropriate.
And here is the poll.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)