Nov 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
To the surprise of few, the NHL decided to suspend Calgary Flames forward Olli Jokinen. It’s unclear what determined the number of games (many will joke that they spun a Wheel of Justice, much like TV’s Wheel of Fortune or that huge awesome one on the Price is Right), but the league handed Jokinen a three game suspension for that cross-check on Wojtek Wolski.
(Here’s a link to the original post on this subject.)
Jokinen will miss the Flames’ next three games – Nov. 19 vs. the Chicago Blackhawks, Nov. 21 at the Detroit Red Wings and Nov. 22 at New York Rangers. He is eligible to return Nov. 24 as the Flames take on the New Jersey Devils in Newark.
According to NHL.com’s estimates, he’ll lose $48,387.09 in salary from the suspension, which will be given to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Here is a video of the senseless hit. After viewing the video, please participate in our poll to determine whether or not the suspension length was appropriate.
And here is the poll.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)