Nov 18, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
To the surprise of few, the NHL decided to suspend Calgary Flames forward Olli Jokinen. It’s unclear what determined the number of games (many will joke that they spun a Wheel of Justice, much like TV’s Wheel of Fortune or that huge awesome one on the Price is Right), but the league handed Jokinen a three game suspension for that cross-check on Wojtek Wolski.
(Here’s a link to the original post on this subject.)
Jokinen will miss the Flames’ next three games – Nov. 19 vs. the Chicago Blackhawks, Nov. 21 at the Detroit Red Wings and Nov. 22 at New York Rangers. He is eligible to return Nov. 24 as the Flames take on the New Jersey Devils in Newark.
According to NHL.com’s estimates, he’ll lose $48,387.09 in salary from the suspension, which will be given to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Here is a video of the senseless hit. After viewing the video, please participate in our poll to determine whether or not the suspension length was appropriate.
And here is the poll.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 2
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 30
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)