Nov 18, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
I haven’t been able to find any video of the hit (not even on Youtube … what is this world coming to?), but Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the NHL handed Tampa Bay Lightning left wing Mattias Ritola a two game suspension for a hit he delivered to New York Islanders forward Matt Moulson.
Early in the second period, Ritola left his feet along the boards, leading with his backside and putting his elbow to the back of Moulson’s head, sending Moulson into the side boards. Ritola was assessed a five-minute major for charging. Moulson stayed in the game, scoring New York’s first goal.
“If it’s a hit that deserves suspension, you have to live with what you do,” Lightning head coach Guy Boucher said Wednesday after the game. “I know him, he’s not a cheap shot guy at all, he’s a skilled guy.”
Charging hits can be awfully dangerous, so I am glad that the NHL punished him … especially considering the fact that Ritola’s own coach admitted that he should be suspended for the hit. We will provide video (either within this post later on or as a separate update) if it becomes available from the NHL.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires