Nov 18, 2010, 1:46 PM EST
There is some good news and bad news for the Atlanta Thrashers.
The bad news is that over-sized defenseman Dustin Byfuglien left last night’s game against the Florida Panthers with a lower-body injury after being hit by a puck. As you can hear from the video on the bottom of this post, he clearly had difficulty getting to the Thrashers’ bench, but was able to do so under his own power.
The good news, however, is that Thrashers GM Rick Dudley downplayed the chances that the injury will be anything major on NHL Live today. Dudley said that he will be questionable for the team’s next game with a contusion and a cut, but the injury isn’t anything long-term. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner for the Dudley comments.)
That being said, we’ll keep an eye out for any backup reports. Sometimes a GM can cloud situations in the name of secrecy or just flat-out confusing the press. In the mean time, we will go with what Dudley said and assume that Byfuglien is day-to-day.
Here is video that sheds some light on the injury.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 35
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 70
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)