Nov 17, 2010, 11:53 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at nine of today’s 12 games, shall we?
Sidney Crosby scored his 13th goal, the Penguins’ sellout streak hit the three-million person mark and Pittsburgh might just have something going all of a sudden.
Well, the Sabres’ run of overtime games had to end sometime, right? Most people wouldn’t have been surprised if they found out that one of the league’s hottest goalies played in this game, but few would have expected that we’d be talking about Michal Neuvirth, not Ryan Miller.
Tim Thomas helped the Bruins earn the win in this one, stopping 34 out of 36 shots while his team managed to score three goals on Henrik Lundqvist despite only sending 20 shots his way.
The Islanders put together a valiant effort, but their record without fired coach Scott Gordon is 0-1 after losing to the Lightning tonight. Martin St. Louis had a goal and two assists while Steve Stamkos scored yet another goal and added an assist as well. The Islanders have now gone 11 games without a win.
Eric Staal scored three goals and two assists … so naturally he wasn’t in my fantasy hockey lineup tonight. (D’oh!) It seems like the Hurricanes are trading blowouts; one night they get dismantled, the next night they dominate. The Senators might be in the cold phase of their typical hit-or-miss cycle.
It’s about time that Tomas Vokoun dominated a game again. The soon-to-be-unrestricted free agent stopped 38 out of 39 shots to help the Panthers beat their division mates from Atlanta.
This game will be remembered for two things: Jaroslav Halak deflecting the puck into his own net and the Red Wings crushing the Blues in the third period, making a 3-3 game end 7-3.
The Ducks aren’t flopping spectacularly on the road anymore. Now they’re just losing hard fought games away from home, as they lost another 2-1 game tonight. At least they earned a point out of it, but red-hot goalie Niklas Backstrom and forward Antti Miettinen made sure the Wild won this one.
Colorado still gives San Jose some trouble, it seems. The Avalanche won this one thanks to a pretty overtime game-winner by Kevin Porter, as both the Avs and Wild gained some ground on the Northwest Division-leading Canucks tonight. San Jose squandered a 3-1 lead to lose, but like Anaheim, they can at least bring home a charity point for their efforts.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)