Nov 17, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
The last we saw of Leafs goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere last night came when he was forced to leave the game in the third period with an apparent groin injury. Today the Leafs confirmed that Giguere will miss the next 1-2 weeks with a groin strain.
What this means for the Leafs is that they’ll be relying almost exclusively upon Jonas Gustavsson in goal to get them through what amounts to be a tough couple of weeks with games coming up against the Devils, Canadiens, Stars, Sabres, Senators, and Lightning. Taking Gustavsson’s spot in the backup role will be James Reimer who was called up from the AHL today.
If you’re curious why the red-hot Jussi Rynnas wasn’t called up instead, it’s because the Leafs are banking on starting Gustavsson exclusively. There’s no point in taking Rynnas out of the AHL if he’s just going to ride the pine.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)