Nov 17, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
The last we saw of Leafs goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere last night came when he was forced to leave the game in the third period with an apparent groin injury. Today the Leafs confirmed that Giguere will miss the next 1-2 weeks with a groin strain.
What this means for the Leafs is that they’ll be relying almost exclusively upon Jonas Gustavsson in goal to get them through what amounts to be a tough couple of weeks with games coming up against the Devils, Canadiens, Stars, Sabres, Senators, and Lightning. Taking Gustavsson’s spot in the backup role will be James Reimer who was called up from the AHL today.
If you’re curious why the red-hot Jussi Rynnas wasn’t called up instead, it’s because the Leafs are banking on starting Gustavsson exclusively. There’s no point in taking Rynnas out of the AHL if he’s just going to ride the pine.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)