Nov 17, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
The last we saw of Leafs goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere last night came when he was forced to leave the game in the third period with an apparent groin injury. Today the Leafs confirmed that Giguere will miss the next 1-2 weeks with a groin strain.
What this means for the Leafs is that they’ll be relying almost exclusively upon Jonas Gustavsson in goal to get them through what amounts to be a tough couple of weeks with games coming up against the Devils, Canadiens, Stars, Sabres, Senators, and Lightning. Taking Gustavsson’s spot in the backup role will be James Reimer who was called up from the AHL today.
If you’re curious why the red-hot Jussi Rynnas wasn’t called up instead, it’s because the Leafs are banking on starting Gustavsson exclusively. There’s no point in taking Rynnas out of the AHL if he’s just going to ride the pine.
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 0
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 0
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 19
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 45