Nov 17, 2010, 5:42 PM EDT
The last we saw of Leafs goalie Jean-Sebastian Giguere last night came when he was forced to leave the game in the third period with an apparent groin injury. Today the Leafs confirmed that Giguere will miss the next 1-2 weeks with a groin strain.
What this means for the Leafs is that they’ll be relying almost exclusively upon Jonas Gustavsson in goal to get them through what amounts to be a tough couple of weeks with games coming up against the Devils, Canadiens, Stars, Sabres, Senators, and Lightning. Taking Gustavsson’s spot in the backup role will be James Reimer who was called up from the AHL today.
If you’re curious why the red-hot Jussi Rynnas wasn’t called up instead, it’s because the Leafs are banking on starting Gustavsson exclusively. There’s no point in taking Rynnas out of the AHL if he’s just going to ride the pine.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)