Nov 17, 2010, 8:33 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might deny it, but much like Tomas Kaberle in Toronto, it looks like Jarome Iginla will be the go-to source for trade rumors – founded and unfounded – throughout the 2010-11 season. Chances are, the Los Angeles Kings will be involved in many of those rumors.
Take, for instance, the latest round of speculation. The Calgary Herald passed along rumors reported by Dean Millard of the Pipeline Show. Millard said that the Kings sent 2009 first round pick Brayden Schenn down to the minors after his ninth game in large part because they wanted to give the Flames the opportunity to decide if they wanted to burn a year off his entry-level contract after trading him for Iginla.
Those rumors began to circulate on Tuesday. The Flames shot down the rumor today, as you can see from this article.
In fact, a source within the organization confirmed Wednesday morning that the Flames have not spoken with ANY National Hockey League team about a trade involving the captain and face of the franchise.
In other words, he is not on the trade market.
The thing is, it’s easy to shoot down a rumor until a trade actually happens. Does that mean that the speculation was legitimate? Not necessarily, but the fact of the matter remains that the Flames have every reason to trade Iginla. He’s aging (33 years old), expensive (a $7 million salary cap hit through the 2012-13 season) and his productivity is waning.
So, again, it’s not happening … yet. We’ll keep you informed about the latest hubbub – and maybe even a legitimate deal – as the months go by.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)