Nov 17, 2010, 8:33 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might deny it, but much like Tomas Kaberle in Toronto, it looks like Jarome Iginla will be the go-to source for trade rumors – founded and unfounded – throughout the 2010-11 season. Chances are, the Los Angeles Kings will be involved in many of those rumors.
Take, for instance, the latest round of speculation. The Calgary Herald passed along rumors reported by Dean Millard of the Pipeline Show. Millard said that the Kings sent 2009 first round pick Brayden Schenn down to the minors after his ninth game in large part because they wanted to give the Flames the opportunity to decide if they wanted to burn a year off his entry-level contract after trading him for Iginla.
Those rumors began to circulate on Tuesday. The Flames shot down the rumor today, as you can see from this article.
In fact, a source within the organization confirmed Wednesday morning that the Flames have not spoken with ANY National Hockey League team about a trade involving the captain and face of the franchise.
In other words, he is not on the trade market.
The thing is, it’s easy to shoot down a rumor until a trade actually happens. Does that mean that the speculation was legitimate? Not necessarily, but the fact of the matter remains that the Flames have every reason to trade Iginla. He’s aging (33 years old), expensive (a $7 million salary cap hit through the 2012-13 season) and his productivity is waning.
So, again, it’s not happening … yet. We’ll keep you informed about the latest hubbub – and maybe even a legitimate deal – as the months go by.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)