Nov 17, 2010, 8:33 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might deny it, but much like Tomas Kaberle in Toronto, it looks like Jarome Iginla will be the go-to source for trade rumors – founded and unfounded – throughout the 2010-11 season. Chances are, the Los Angeles Kings will be involved in many of those rumors.
Take, for instance, the latest round of speculation. The Calgary Herald passed along rumors reported by Dean Millard of the Pipeline Show. Millard said that the Kings sent 2009 first round pick Brayden Schenn down to the minors after his ninth game in large part because they wanted to give the Flames the opportunity to decide if they wanted to burn a year off his entry-level contract after trading him for Iginla.
Those rumors began to circulate on Tuesday. The Flames shot down the rumor today, as you can see from this article.
In fact, a source within the organization confirmed Wednesday morning that the Flames have not spoken with ANY National Hockey League team about a trade involving the captain and face of the franchise.
In other words, he is not on the trade market.
The thing is, it’s easy to shoot down a rumor until a trade actually happens. Does that mean that the speculation was legitimate? Not necessarily, but the fact of the matter remains that the Flames have every reason to trade Iginla. He’s aging (33 years old), expensive (a $7 million salary cap hit through the 2012-13 season) and his productivity is waning.
So, again, it’s not happening … yet. We’ll keep you informed about the latest hubbub – and maybe even a legitimate deal – as the months go by.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)