Nov 17, 2010, 8:33 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames might deny it, but much like Tomas Kaberle in Toronto, it looks like Jarome Iginla will be the go-to source for trade rumors – founded and unfounded – throughout the 2010-11 season. Chances are, the Los Angeles Kings will be involved in many of those rumors.
Take, for instance, the latest round of speculation. The Calgary Herald passed along rumors reported by Dean Millard of the Pipeline Show. Millard said that the Kings sent 2009 first round pick Brayden Schenn down to the minors after his ninth game in large part because they wanted to give the Flames the opportunity to decide if they wanted to burn a year off his entry-level contract after trading him for Iginla.
Those rumors began to circulate on Tuesday. The Flames shot down the rumor today, as you can see from this article.
In fact, a source within the organization confirmed Wednesday morning that the Flames have not spoken with ANY National Hockey League team about a trade involving the captain and face of the franchise.
In other words, he is not on the trade market.
The thing is, it’s easy to shoot down a rumor until a trade actually happens. Does that mean that the speculation was legitimate? Not necessarily, but the fact of the matter remains that the Flames have every reason to trade Iginla. He’s aging (33 years old), expensive (a $7 million salary cap hit through the 2012-13 season) and his productivity is waning.
So, again, it’s not happening … yet. We’ll keep you informed about the latest hubbub – and maybe even a legitimate deal – as the months go by.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)