Nov 17, 2010, 8:33 PM EST
The Calgary Flames might deny it, but much like Tomas Kaberle in Toronto, it looks like Jarome Iginla will be the go-to source for trade rumors – founded and unfounded – throughout the 2010-11 season. Chances are, the Los Angeles Kings will be involved in many of those rumors.
Take, for instance, the latest round of speculation. The Calgary Herald passed along rumors reported by Dean Millard of the Pipeline Show. Millard said that the Kings sent 2009 first round pick Brayden Schenn down to the minors after his ninth game in large part because they wanted to give the Flames the opportunity to decide if they wanted to burn a year off his entry-level contract after trading him for Iginla.
Those rumors began to circulate on Tuesday. The Flames shot down the rumor today, as you can see from this article.
In fact, a source within the organization confirmed Wednesday morning that the Flames have not spoken with ANY National Hockey League team about a trade involving the captain and face of the franchise.
In other words, he is not on the trade market.
The thing is, it’s easy to shoot down a rumor until a trade actually happens. Does that mean that the speculation was legitimate? Not necessarily, but the fact of the matter remains that the Flames have every reason to trade Iginla. He’s aging (33 years old), expensive (a $7 million salary cap hit through the 2012-13 season) and his productivity is waning.
So, again, it’s not happening … yet. We’ll keep you informed about the latest hubbub – and maybe even a legitimate deal – as the months go by.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)