Nov 16, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
The worry over Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov’s knee injury in Montreal is about to grow exponentially. Dave Stubbs of Habs Inside/Out tweets today that Markov will be out “long term” for an undetermined amount of time. It’s been a mystery surrounding Markov about how long he would be out for since he was hurt on Saturday night against Carolina, but the Habs reporting at least this much can’t be good news for Montreal or its fans.
As for what the Canadiens will have to do now with Markov out for what we’re assuming to be a long time, the pressure for young defenseman P.K. Subban to continue to improve and play great will increase. Subban has had a solid season to this point and has played well as a offense generating blue liner. Asking him to step up into the role of the team’s lead power play quarterback might be asking a lot of the 21 year-old.
If you’re thinking that the Habs acted too soon in dealing Ryan O’Byrne to the Avalanche last week, you can relax on that talk. O’Byrne was buried on the Habs depth chart to the point he had two other defensemen ahead of him. Besides, O’Byrne’s and Markov’s style of play couldn’t be more opposite of each other. Playing without Markov is becoming a bit too regular for the Habs, and unfortunately for Markov it comes at a bad time as he’s due to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. If he needed better motivation to try and hurry up and get back on the ice this season, a bigger paycheck next year could be it.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32