Calgary sends Brett Sutter to AHL after learning of assault charges; Everyone says it was ‘out of character’
Nov 15, 2010, 9:02 PM EST
The Calgary Flames announced that they assigned Brett Sutter to the Abbotsford Heat, the team’s AHL affiliate, today. One would have to reasonably assume that the demotion took place because Sutter embarrassed the organization by getting arrested and charged with assault after an alleged bar fight in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The Flames also released statements from Sutter and team captain Jarome Iginla regarding the situation to back up the terse statement Calgary made shortly after news of the arrest circulated.
It seems like all parties agreed on the phrasing of their statements, as all three comments described the unfortunate event as “out of character” for the 23-year-old forward. Perhaps the most interesting statement came from Sutter, then.
Here is the full text of his statement, via the Flames.
“I want to apologize to my family, my friends, our fans and the entire Flames family for what took place this past Wednesday night.
“My background is one of hard work and respect so this incident is totally out of character for me. I have been a captain in junior hockey and an assistant captain last year in Abbotsford so I totally understand the values of leadership and character.
“I have set the wrong example not only for children who love the Flames and hockey but also for my brother who has been such a great example for me. I want to thank everyone for their support and wisdom over the past few days. It has been especially difficult because of the type of person I really am and will continue to be.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 34
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)