Calgary sends Brett Sutter to AHL after learning of assault charges; Everyone says it was ‘out of character’
Nov 15, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames announced that they assigned Brett Sutter to the Abbotsford Heat, the team’s AHL affiliate, today. One would have to reasonably assume that the demotion took place because Sutter embarrassed the organization by getting arrested and charged with assault after an alleged bar fight in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The Flames also released statements from Sutter and team captain Jarome Iginla regarding the situation to back up the terse statement Calgary made shortly after news of the arrest circulated.
It seems like all parties agreed on the phrasing of their statements, as all three comments described the unfortunate event as “out of character” for the 23-year-old forward. Perhaps the most interesting statement came from Sutter, then.
Here is the full text of his statement, via the Flames.
“I want to apologize to my family, my friends, our fans and the entire Flames family for what took place this past Wednesday night.
“My background is one of hard work and respect so this incident is totally out of character for me. I have been a captain in junior hockey and an assistant captain last year in Abbotsford so I totally understand the values of leadership and character.
“I have set the wrong example not only for children who love the Flames and hockey but also for my brother who has been such a great example for me. I want to thank everyone for their support and wisdom over the past few days. It has been especially difficult because of the type of person I really am and will continue to be.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)