Calgary sends Brett Sutter to AHL after learning of assault charges; Everyone says it was ‘out of character’
Nov 15, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames announced that they assigned Brett Sutter to the Abbotsford Heat, the team’s AHL affiliate, today. One would have to reasonably assume that the demotion took place because Sutter embarrassed the organization by getting arrested and charged with assault after an alleged bar fight in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The Flames also released statements from Sutter and team captain Jarome Iginla regarding the situation to back up the terse statement Calgary made shortly after news of the arrest circulated.
It seems like all parties agreed on the phrasing of their statements, as all three comments described the unfortunate event as “out of character” for the 23-year-old forward. Perhaps the most interesting statement came from Sutter, then.
Here is the full text of his statement, via the Flames.
“I want to apologize to my family, my friends, our fans and the entire Flames family for what took place this past Wednesday night.
“My background is one of hard work and respect so this incident is totally out of character for me. I have been a captain in junior hockey and an assistant captain last year in Abbotsford so I totally understand the values of leadership and character.
“I have set the wrong example not only for children who love the Flames and hockey but also for my brother who has been such a great example for me. I want to thank everyone for their support and wisdom over the past few days. It has been especially difficult because of the type of person I really am and will continue to be.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)