Calgary sends Brett Sutter to AHL after learning of assault charges; Everyone says it was ‘out of character’
Nov 15, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames announced that they assigned Brett Sutter to the Abbotsford Heat, the team’s AHL affiliate, today. One would have to reasonably assume that the demotion took place because Sutter embarrassed the organization by getting arrested and charged with assault after an alleged bar fight in Scottsdale, Arizona.
The Flames also released statements from Sutter and team captain Jarome Iginla regarding the situation to back up the terse statement Calgary made shortly after news of the arrest circulated.
It seems like all parties agreed on the phrasing of their statements, as all three comments described the unfortunate event as “out of character” for the 23-year-old forward. Perhaps the most interesting statement came from Sutter, then.
Here is the full text of his statement, via the Flames.
“I want to apologize to my family, my friends, our fans and the entire Flames family for what took place this past Wednesday night.
“My background is one of hard work and respect so this incident is totally out of character for me. I have been a captain in junior hockey and an assistant captain last year in Abbotsford so I totally understand the values of leadership and character.
“I have set the wrong example not only for children who love the Flames and hockey but also for my brother who has been such a great example for me. I want to thank everyone for their support and wisdom over the past few days. It has been especially difficult because of the type of person I really am and will continue to be.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10