Nov 14, 2010, 5:27 PM EST
A day after Ray Whitney scored his first goal(s) of the season via a hat trick, Marian Gaborik did just the same … and he didn’t even need an empty net to earn his third one. As you can see from the video, Gaborik scored one somewhat ugly goal to start things off and then capped his night with two beautiful breakaways to earn the hat trick. He also had an assist, giving him an excellent four-point day.
Gaborik wasn’t the only New York Ranger who stood out in the team’s beating of the woeful Edmonton Oilers, though.
Alex Frolov also produced four points in this game, scoring two goals and two assists. Artem Anisimov and Ruslan Fedetenko also scored goals for the Rangers this afternoon.
Amazingly enough, the Oilers actually had a 2-1 lead at one point in the game. After giving up Gaborik’s first goal, Ryan Jones and Shawn Horcoff scored for Edmonton. That one ray of light must be hard to remember after allowing seven unanswered goals, though.
The Oilers have just been atrocious on defense and in net, most disturbingly with Nikolai Khabibulin between the pipes. He allowed 6, 7 and 8 goals in his last three games. Overall, the Oilers are 2-9-3 since starting the season 2-0. The only good news is that their five-game road trip is over.
Meanwhile, the Rangers are just plugging along. After dropping two games in a row, New York put together two straight wins. Martin Biron won those two games, although it’s probably important to note that those wings came against two of the worst teams in the league (Edmonton and Buffalo). Still, these small stretches are the reason you add a solid veteran like Biron.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35