Nov 13, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Horrible news out of Ottawa tonight: Daron Richardson died after being rushed to the hospital on Friday night. Daron was the 14-year-old daughter of former player and Senators assistant coach Luke Richardson.
Here is more information about the awful situation from the Associated Press.
Daron Richardson, 14, was rushed to the hospital Friday, the Senators said in a statement.
“There was an accident at their home (Friday) and Daron tried to take her life by hanging,” the statement read. “Her mother found her in the basement, and Daron was rushed to the hospital by ambulance where she remained in critical condition in ICU until she succumbed to her injuries.”
Luke Richardson played 21 seasons in the NHL with Toronto, Edmonton, Philadelphia, Columbus, Tampa Bay and Ottawa. He retired in 2008, finishing with 35 goals and 166 assists in 1,417 games.
Our hearts go out to Luke and his family on what must be a very difficult night.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)