Nov 13, 2010, 12:03 AM EDT
We’ve had some fun at Ilya Kovalchuk’s expense of late. After all, it’s low-hanging fruit to pick on a guy with a nine-figure contract who’s struggling and then proceeds to make a high-profile failure in the shootout. Sure, he’s had a rough season and so has his team, but there are moments when a player of Kovalchuk’s caliber can make you remember that, yes, he is still really good and that he can be worth what he’s paid.
Tonight, the Devils fought back to tie the game up with the equally lowly Edmonton Oilers, and in overtime the Devils made it to the power play. With the 4-on-3 set up, it became a shooting gallery for Oilers goalie Devan Dubnyk and when Ilya Kovalchuk gets set up for a one-timer with space, chances are he’s not going to miss. Tonight was one of those nights where he wasn’t going to miss and his goal lifted the Devils to a 4-3 win over the Oilers in overtime.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5