Nov 13, 2010, 12:03 AM EST
We’ve had some fun at Ilya Kovalchuk’s expense of late. After all, it’s low-hanging fruit to pick on a guy with a nine-figure contract who’s struggling and then proceeds to make a high-profile failure in the shootout. Sure, he’s had a rough season and so has his team, but there are moments when a player of Kovalchuk’s caliber can make you remember that, yes, he is still really good and that he can be worth what he’s paid.
Tonight, the Devils fought back to tie the game up with the equally lowly Edmonton Oilers, and in overtime the Devils made it to the power play. With the 4-on-3 set up, it became a shooting gallery for Oilers goalie Devan Dubnyk and when Ilya Kovalchuk gets set up for a one-timer with space, chances are he’s not going to miss. Tonight was one of those nights where he wasn’t going to miss and his goal lifted the Devils to a 4-3 win over the Oilers in overtime.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4