Nov 13, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
When word circulated that the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to call up prospect Nazem Kadri, many people reacted to the timing of the decision as a sign of panic.
While time will tell if the calculated risk proves out to be a boon or a blunder, there is at least one reason why Leafs GM Brian Burke might deserve some credit for good timing. If Kadri were to stick with their AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlies, he wouldn’t be able to play for two games.
That’s because the minor league suspended him for two games as a disciplinary measure for his actions in Thursday’s game between the Marlies and the Adirondack Phantoms. Kadri was reprimanded for slashing an opposing player and the unsportsmanlike conduct that came with it, according to The Canadian Press.
Of course, if Kadri sticks with the pro club for the rest of his hockey career, this suspension will be pretty meaningless. It doesn’t carry over to the NHL, so Kadri can go about playing at his leisure.
The question is: should the suspension have followed him to the big leagues?
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)