Nov 13, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
When word circulated that the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to call up prospect Nazem Kadri, many people reacted to the timing of the decision as a sign of panic.
While time will tell if the calculated risk proves out to be a boon or a blunder, there is at least one reason why Leafs GM Brian Burke might deserve some credit for good timing. If Kadri were to stick with their AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlies, he wouldn’t be able to play for two games.
That’s because the minor league suspended him for two games as a disciplinary measure for his actions in Thursday’s game between the Marlies and the Adirondack Phantoms. Kadri was reprimanded for slashing an opposing player and the unsportsmanlike conduct that came with it, according to The Canadian Press.
Of course, if Kadri sticks with the pro club for the rest of his hockey career, this suspension will be pretty meaningless. It doesn’t carry over to the NHL, so Kadri can go about playing at his leisure.
The question is: should the suspension have followed him to the big leagues?
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 0
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 17
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 16
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 16
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 69
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement