Nov 13, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
When word circulated that the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to call up prospect Nazem Kadri, many people reacted to the timing of the decision as a sign of panic.
While time will tell if the calculated risk proves out to be a boon or a blunder, there is at least one reason why Leafs GM Brian Burke might deserve some credit for good timing. If Kadri were to stick with their AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlies, he wouldn’t be able to play for two games.
That’s because the minor league suspended him for two games as a disciplinary measure for his actions in Thursday’s game between the Marlies and the Adirondack Phantoms. Kadri was reprimanded for slashing an opposing player and the unsportsmanlike conduct that came with it, according to The Canadian Press.
Of course, if Kadri sticks with the pro club for the rest of his hockey career, this suspension will be pretty meaningless. It doesn’t carry over to the NHL, so Kadri can go about playing at his leisure.
The question is: should the suspension have followed him to the big leagues?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)