Nov 13, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
When word circulated that the Toronto Maple Leafs decided to call up prospect Nazem Kadri, many people reacted to the timing of the decision as a sign of panic.
While time will tell if the calculated risk proves out to be a boon or a blunder, there is at least one reason why Leafs GM Brian Burke might deserve some credit for good timing. If Kadri were to stick with their AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlies, he wouldn’t be able to play for two games.
That’s because the minor league suspended him for two games as a disciplinary measure for his actions in Thursday’s game between the Marlies and the Adirondack Phantoms. Kadri was reprimanded for slashing an opposing player and the unsportsmanlike conduct that came with it, according to The Canadian Press.
Of course, if Kadri sticks with the pro club for the rest of his hockey career, this suspension will be pretty meaningless. It doesn’t carry over to the NHL, so Kadri can go about playing at his leisure.
The question is: should the suspension have followed him to the big leagues?
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)