Nov 13, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
For the first time since the two valuable skaters suffered from injuries, David Krejci and Johnny Boychuk participated in the Boston Bruins’ game day skate, according to James Murphy of ESPN Boston.
Krejci is fighting off a minor concussion he’s been dealing with since playing against the St. Louis Blues last Saturday. Boychuk broke his forearm during the team’s October 23 game against the New York Rangers.
Marco Sturm reportedly joined them during the morning skate, but gradually improving center Marc Savard did not participate.
I’m not certain if there is any clear return date for Krejci – concussions are still as mysterious as ever – but Murphy reports that Boychuk could return to game action as soon as next weekend. They obviously weren’t able to play in tonight’s game against the Ottawa Senators, but there’s at least some reason for optimism regarding Boston’s injury riddled roster.
Bruins coach Claude Julien was pleased with the progress of Boychuk and Krejci, but he and the Bruins won’t get ahead of themselves.
“Both are progressing well,” Julien said after the skate. “David started his exertion test yesterday, as we mentioned. He got on the bike and felt good enough to get on the ice and skate a little bit today. I guess that result we’ll get later on, and as the day progresses we’ll know whether he feels good enough and see tomorrow. So those are things that he’s going through, and so far everything is going in the right direction with him.
“Johnny is the same thing. He started skating with us today, getting some shots, so he’s progressing well. I guess these next few days will determine how close he is to starting to play again.”
We’ll keep you updated about their injury statuses, but if you ask Boychuk, he sounds like he’s getting much closer to being ready. Here’s some of his comments via ESPN.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)