Nov 13, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
After starting the season about as cold as possible, the Anaheim Ducks are one of the hottest teams in the NHL. The team is on a six-game winning streak right now, thanks in large part to their talented Swiss goalie Jonas Hiller, who won five of those six contests.
Right now, maintaining that winning streak isn’t Anaheim’s top concern, though.
Instead, the team is worried about the status of their big money goalie after Hiller took a shot to the facemask during the Ducks’ afternoon practice today. It’s unclear how severe the injury is or whether their workhorse netminder will be able to play in Sunday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks.
After arriving in Chicago, where they will open a three-game road swing against the Blackhawks on Sunday night, the Ducks took to the ice, only to lose Hiller midway through practice when a shot from a teammate struck the goalie squarely on his facemask.
Hiller went down immediately, desperately shook the catching glove off his right hand and grabbed for his face. A nasty cut near Hiller’s eyebrows was the obvious damage.
After receiving immediate attention from head athletic trainer Tim Clark, Hiller was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago for precautionary reasons and received four sutures. He is scheduled to be re-evaluated tomorrow morning.
As always, we will keep you updated on the injury status of Hiller and other players from around the NHL as news comes through.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 1
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 75
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks