Nov 13, 2010, 9:26 PM EST
After starting the season about as cold as possible, the Anaheim Ducks are one of the hottest teams in the NHL. The team is on a six-game winning streak right now, thanks in large part to their talented Swiss goalie Jonas Hiller, who won five of those six contests.
Right now, maintaining that winning streak isn’t Anaheim’s top concern, though.
Instead, the team is worried about the status of their big money goalie after Hiller took a shot to the facemask during the Ducks’ afternoon practice today. It’s unclear how severe the injury is or whether their workhorse netminder will be able to play in Sunday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks.
After arriving in Chicago, where they will open a three-game road swing against the Blackhawks on Sunday night, the Ducks took to the ice, only to lose Hiller midway through practice when a shot from a teammate struck the goalie squarely on his facemask.
Hiller went down immediately, desperately shook the catching glove off his right hand and grabbed for his face. A nasty cut near Hiller’s eyebrows was the obvious damage.
After receiving immediate attention from head athletic trainer Tim Clark, Hiller was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago for precautionary reasons and received four sutures. He is scheduled to be re-evaluated tomorrow morning.
As always, we will keep you updated on the injury status of Hiller and other players from around the NHL as news comes through.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 59
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 30
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)