Nov 13, 2010, 9:26 PM EST
After starting the season about as cold as possible, the Anaheim Ducks are one of the hottest teams in the NHL. The team is on a six-game winning streak right now, thanks in large part to their talented Swiss goalie Jonas Hiller, who won five of those six contests.
Right now, maintaining that winning streak isn’t Anaheim’s top concern, though.
Instead, the team is worried about the status of their big money goalie after Hiller took a shot to the facemask during the Ducks’ afternoon practice today. It’s unclear how severe the injury is or whether their workhorse netminder will be able to play in Sunday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks.
After arriving in Chicago, where they will open a three-game road swing against the Blackhawks on Sunday night, the Ducks took to the ice, only to lose Hiller midway through practice when a shot from a teammate struck the goalie squarely on his facemask.
Hiller went down immediately, desperately shook the catching glove off his right hand and grabbed for his face. A nasty cut near Hiller’s eyebrows was the obvious damage.
After receiving immediate attention from head athletic trainer Tim Clark, Hiller was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago for precautionary reasons and received four sutures. He is scheduled to be re-evaluated tomorrow morning.
As always, we will keep you updated on the injury status of Hiller and other players from around the NHL as news comes through.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)