Nov 13, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
After starting the season about as cold as possible, the Anaheim Ducks are one of the hottest teams in the NHL. The team is on a six-game winning streak right now, thanks in large part to their talented Swiss goalie Jonas Hiller, who won five of those six contests.
Right now, maintaining that winning streak isn’t Anaheim’s top concern, though.
Instead, the team is worried about the status of their big money goalie after Hiller took a shot to the facemask during the Ducks’ afternoon practice today. It’s unclear how severe the injury is or whether their workhorse netminder will be able to play in Sunday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks.
After arriving in Chicago, where they will open a three-game road swing against the Blackhawks on Sunday night, the Ducks took to the ice, only to lose Hiller midway through practice when a shot from a teammate struck the goalie squarely on his facemask.
Hiller went down immediately, desperately shook the catching glove off his right hand and grabbed for his face. A nasty cut near Hiller’s eyebrows was the obvious damage.
After receiving immediate attention from head athletic trainer Tim Clark, Hiller was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago for precautionary reasons and received four sutures. He is scheduled to be re-evaluated tomorrow morning.
As always, we will keep you updated on the injury status of Hiller and other players from around the NHL as news comes through.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 11
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 37
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)