Nov 13, 2010, 2:38 PM EDT
Wild defenseman Brent Burns saw swift action from the NHL for his butt-ending incident with Panthers forward Steve Bernier at the conclusion of the Panthers 2-1 win. Burns was suspended for two games for his play by the NHL. The two came together in a scuffle at the final horn and Burns, in an effort to get Bernier out of his face, caught him in the cheek with the butt-end of his stick.
It was a careless move for Burns and one that seemed innocuous at the time, but when Bernier fell to the ice with blood coming from a deep cut on his cheek, it was clear that Burns’ recklessness was going to cost him. Bernier was taken to a hospital after the game and as it turns out, he’ll have to have surgery to take care of a broken orbital bone.
To replace Burns in the lineup for the Wild’s next game they’ll try to get Marek Zidlicky back with the team. He stayed back in Minnesota to rehab a nagging injury, but as Michael Russo tweets, the team may have trouble getting him out of there thanks to a snowstorm that’s causing travel issues in Minneapolis.
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63