Nov 13, 2010, 2:38 PM EDT
Wild defenseman Brent Burns saw swift action from the NHL for his butt-ending incident with Panthers forward Steve Bernier at the conclusion of the Panthers 2-1 win. Burns was suspended for two games for his play by the NHL. The two came together in a scuffle at the final horn and Burns, in an effort to get Bernier out of his face, caught him in the cheek with the butt-end of his stick.
It was a careless move for Burns and one that seemed innocuous at the time, but when Bernier fell to the ice with blood coming from a deep cut on his cheek, it was clear that Burns’ recklessness was going to cost him. Bernier was taken to a hospital after the game and as it turns out, he’ll have to have surgery to take care of a broken orbital bone.
To replace Burns in the lineup for the Wild’s next game they’ll try to get Marek Zidlicky back with the team. He stayed back in Minnesota to rehab a nagging injury, but as Michael Russo tweets, the team may have trouble getting him out of there thanks to a snowstorm that’s causing travel issues in Minneapolis.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54