Nov 13, 2010, 2:38 PM EDT
Wild defenseman Brent Burns saw swift action from the NHL for his butt-ending incident with Panthers forward Steve Bernier at the conclusion of the Panthers 2-1 win. Burns was suspended for two games for his play by the NHL. The two came together in a scuffle at the final horn and Burns, in an effort to get Bernier out of his face, caught him in the cheek with the butt-end of his stick.
It was a careless move for Burns and one that seemed innocuous at the time, but when Bernier fell to the ice with blood coming from a deep cut on his cheek, it was clear that Burns’ recklessness was going to cost him. Bernier was taken to a hospital after the game and as it turns out, he’ll have to have surgery to take care of a broken orbital bone.
To replace Burns in the lineup for the Wild’s next game they’ll try to get Marek Zidlicky back with the team. He stayed back in Minnesota to rehab a nagging injury, but as Michael Russo tweets, the team may have trouble getting him out of there thanks to a snowstorm that’s causing travel issues in Minneapolis.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 9
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)