Nov 13, 2010, 2:38 PM EDT
Wild defenseman Brent Burns saw swift action from the NHL for his butt-ending incident with Panthers forward Steve Bernier at the conclusion of the Panthers 2-1 win. Burns was suspended for two games for his play by the NHL. The two came together in a scuffle at the final horn and Burns, in an effort to get Bernier out of his face, caught him in the cheek with the butt-end of his stick.
It was a careless move for Burns and one that seemed innocuous at the time, but when Bernier fell to the ice with blood coming from a deep cut on his cheek, it was clear that Burns’ recklessness was going to cost him. Bernier was taken to a hospital after the game and as it turns out, he’ll have to have surgery to take care of a broken orbital bone.
To replace Burns in the lineup for the Wild’s next game they’ll try to get Marek Zidlicky back with the team. He stayed back in Minnesota to rehab a nagging injury, but as Michael Russo tweets, the team may have trouble getting him out of there thanks to a snowstorm that’s causing travel issues in Minneapolis.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)