Nov 13, 2010, 2:38 PM EDT
Wild defenseman Brent Burns saw swift action from the NHL for his butt-ending incident with Panthers forward Steve Bernier at the conclusion of the Panthers 2-1 win. Burns was suspended for two games for his play by the NHL. The two came together in a scuffle at the final horn and Burns, in an effort to get Bernier out of his face, caught him in the cheek with the butt-end of his stick.
It was a careless move for Burns and one that seemed innocuous at the time, but when Bernier fell to the ice with blood coming from a deep cut on his cheek, it was clear that Burns’ recklessness was going to cost him. Bernier was taken to a hospital after the game and as it turns out, he’ll have to have surgery to take care of a broken orbital bone.
To replace Burns in the lineup for the Wild’s next game they’ll try to get Marek Zidlicky back with the team. He stayed back in Minnesota to rehab a nagging injury, but as Michael Russo tweets, the team may have trouble getting him out of there thanks to a snowstorm that’s causing travel issues in Minneapolis.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)