Nov 12, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Who came up with the term “natural hat trick” really? It sounds cool, but it doesn’t really make much sense to me. Are other hat tricks made of synthetic materials?
Someday, an overly educated fan base will only throw all-cotton hats when a natural hat trick is scored and conversely will throw pleather hats on the ice during “unnatural” hat tricks.
Anyway, unnecessary semantics discussion aside, the Philadelphia Flyers pounded the Carolina Hurricanes last night by a humbling score of 8-1. Jeff Carter was a big part of that, scoring that natural hat trick thing I was discussing a moment ago. He scored his first goal with a little more than a minute left in the first period, then 1:54 and 5:58 into the second, even if the Flyers announcers debated whether or not he or Andrei Meszaros scored it.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)