Nov 12, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
After surprising much of the hockey world with a rousing 4-0-1 start, reality is slapping the poorly designed Toronto Maple Leafs in constant, embarrassing swipes. They’ve gone a pitiful 1-7-2 since earning nine out of a possible 10 points in the first five games of the season, scoring only 15 goals in that 10-game stretch of futility. Only the New Jersey Devils scored less (29) goals than the Leafs (32) so far this season.
Some might think it’s a sign that Brian Burke & Co. are pushing the panic button, but however you slice it, there is big news out of Toronto. After flopping a bit during the preseason and finding himself demoted for the first month-plus of the 2010-11 season, 2009 first round draft pick Nazem Kadri is back with the team after being recalled with Keith Aulie.
Those two prospects were recalled while Korbinian Holzer and Christian Hanson were sent to the minors, according to TSN.
When you play in a hockey-crazed market like Toronto, you have to expect some scrutiny … especially when you’re a rare first round pick in an era in which the team hasn’t made the playoffs since before the lockout. That’s the situation Kadri finds himself in; every misstep will be over-analyzed as if the young pivot is the Prime Minister of Hockey.
To his credit, Kadri has been doing well in the minors. He’s averaging a point per game with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, with five goals and nine assists for 14 points in 14 games.
Of course, it’s often a big jump from the AHL to the NHL and many wonder if this move will stunt the prospect’s growth. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, as Kadri will make his 2010-11 NHL premiere tomorrow night against the Vancouver Canucks.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)