Nov 12, 2010, 8:00 AM EST
If you want summaries of Thursday’s first eight games, click here.
The Washington Capitals are probably the hottest team in the NHL, but the Los Angeles Kings might be the best team in the Western Conference right now. The Kings earned their fifth straight win tonight by beating the Dallas Stars once again last night.
Jonathan Quick once again played well, stopping 27 out of 28 shots while Kari Lehtonen set aside 26 out of 29 in a losing effort.
After fighting to a 1-1 stalemate through two periods, the Kings power play made the difference. Justin Williams scored a beauty on the man advantage 6:54 into the third while Jack Johnson hammered home a slapper on a five-minute power play to clinch the game.
It’s hard to believe that before their epic losing streak, the New York Islanders were one of the best teams in the Atlantic Division at 4-1-2. After this shutout loss, the Islanders are a staggering 0-8-1 in their last nine games. You have to wonder if Scott Gordon is going to get the Wade Phillips treatment at some point.
Dan Boyle was the hero in this one, scoring a goal in regulation to tie the game while adding a shootout tally to help the Sharks earn the win.
Antero Niittymaki stopped 24 out of 25 shots for the win, while Dwayne Roloson kept the Islanders in the game as he stopped 37 out of 38 shots before falling in the skills competition.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)