Nov 12, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
If you want summaries of Thursday’s first eight games, click here.
The Washington Capitals are probably the hottest team in the NHL, but the Los Angeles Kings might be the best team in the Western Conference right now. The Kings earned their fifth straight win tonight by beating the Dallas Stars once again last night.
Jonathan Quick once again played well, stopping 27 out of 28 shots while Kari Lehtonen set aside 26 out of 29 in a losing effort.
After fighting to a 1-1 stalemate through two periods, the Kings power play made the difference. Justin Williams scored a beauty on the man advantage 6:54 into the third while Jack Johnson hammered home a slapper on a five-minute power play to clinch the game.
It’s hard to believe that before their epic losing streak, the New York Islanders were one of the best teams in the Atlantic Division at 4-1-2. After this shutout loss, the Islanders are a staggering 0-8-1 in their last nine games. You have to wonder if Scott Gordon is going to get the Wade Phillips treatment at some point.
Dan Boyle was the hero in this one, scoring a goal in regulation to tie the game while adding a shootout tally to help the Sharks earn the win.
Antero Niittymaki stopped 24 out of 25 shots for the win, while Dwayne Roloson kept the Islanders in the game as he stopped 37 out of 38 shots before falling in the skills competition.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 13
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)