Nov 12, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
If you want summaries of Thursday’s first eight games, click here.
The Washington Capitals are probably the hottest team in the NHL, but the Los Angeles Kings might be the best team in the Western Conference right now. The Kings earned their fifth straight win tonight by beating the Dallas Stars once again last night.
Jonathan Quick once again played well, stopping 27 out of 28 shots while Kari Lehtonen set aside 26 out of 29 in a losing effort.
After fighting to a 1-1 stalemate through two periods, the Kings power play made the difference. Justin Williams scored a beauty on the man advantage 6:54 into the third while Jack Johnson hammered home a slapper on a five-minute power play to clinch the game.
It’s hard to believe that before their epic losing streak, the New York Islanders were one of the best teams in the Atlantic Division at 4-1-2. After this shutout loss, the Islanders are a staggering 0-8-1 in their last nine games. You have to wonder if Scott Gordon is going to get the Wade Phillips treatment at some point.
Dan Boyle was the hero in this one, scoring a goal in regulation to tie the game while adding a shootout tally to help the Sharks earn the win.
Antero Niittymaki stopped 24 out of 25 shots for the win, while Dwayne Roloson kept the Islanders in the game as he stopped 37 out of 38 shots before falling in the skills competition.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)