Nov 12, 2010, 8:00 AM EST
If you want summaries of Thursday’s first eight games, click here.
The Washington Capitals are probably the hottest team in the NHL, but the Los Angeles Kings might be the best team in the Western Conference right now. The Kings earned their fifth straight win tonight by beating the Dallas Stars once again last night.
Jonathan Quick once again played well, stopping 27 out of 28 shots while Kari Lehtonen set aside 26 out of 29 in a losing effort.
After fighting to a 1-1 stalemate through two periods, the Kings power play made the difference. Justin Williams scored a beauty on the man advantage 6:54 into the third while Jack Johnson hammered home a slapper on a five-minute power play to clinch the game.
It’s hard to believe that before their epic losing streak, the New York Islanders were one of the best teams in the Atlantic Division at 4-1-2. After this shutout loss, the Islanders are a staggering 0-8-1 in their last nine games. You have to wonder if Scott Gordon is going to get the Wade Phillips treatment at some point.
Dan Boyle was the hero in this one, scoring a goal in regulation to tie the game while adding a shootout tally to help the Sharks earn the win.
Antero Niittymaki stopped 24 out of 25 shots for the win, while Dwayne Roloson kept the Islanders in the game as he stopped 37 out of 38 shots before falling in the skills competition.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)