Nov 12, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT
If you want summaries of Thursday’s first eight games, click here.
The Washington Capitals are probably the hottest team in the NHL, but the Los Angeles Kings might be the best team in the Western Conference right now. The Kings earned their fifth straight win tonight by beating the Dallas Stars once again last night.
Jonathan Quick once again played well, stopping 27 out of 28 shots while Kari Lehtonen set aside 26 out of 29 in a losing effort.
After fighting to a 1-1 stalemate through two periods, the Kings power play made the difference. Justin Williams scored a beauty on the man advantage 6:54 into the third while Jack Johnson hammered home a slapper on a five-minute power play to clinch the game.
It’s hard to believe that before their epic losing streak, the New York Islanders were one of the best teams in the Atlantic Division at 4-1-2. After this shutout loss, the Islanders are a staggering 0-8-1 in their last nine games. You have to wonder if Scott Gordon is going to get the Wade Phillips treatment at some point.
Dan Boyle was the hero in this one, scoring a goal in regulation to tie the game while adding a shootout tally to help the Sharks earn the win.
Antero Niittymaki stopped 24 out of 25 shots for the win, while Dwayne Roloson kept the Islanders in the game as he stopped 37 out of 38 shots before falling in the skills competition.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)