Nov 12, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
If you missed out last night, Flames forward Brett Sutter had himself a bad night in Scottsdale, Arizona. Sutter was arrested for third-degree assault and later released on bond. Sutter, who is related to both head coach Brent Sutter and GM Darryl Sutter, is a reserve forward in Calgary and as you’d expect, he’s got the full support of the team and organization while dealing with this rather embarrassing situation. Assistant GM Jay Feaster spoke up about what’s going on with the situation.
“We have been informed that . . . the victim is going to follow through and press charges,” said Feaster, a lawyer by training. “So (Sutter) has been charged with assault-touched to injure. It’s a third-degree misdemeanor in Arizona. The next thing that’ll happen from a legal perspective is that a plea will have to be entered at a hearing on Nov. 30 in Scottsdale. Brett won’t have to be there in person. He can have legal counsel enter a plea for him.
“From an organization perspective, our first reaction is that this is highly out of — totally out of — character for this player. That’s not who or what Brett is. Obviously, it’s unfortunate we’re in this situation and it’s unfortunate for Brett. But, again, it doesn’t reflect Brett. It doesn’t reflect the kind of person that he’s been in this organization. So we are going to do everything we can to support him . . . and help him as he goes through this process.”
Sutter’s situation has a couple of parallels that both don’t bode well for him. Getting arrested in Arizona makes us think of the mess that Oilers goalie Nikolai Khabibulin found himself in after being arrested for and convicted of extreme DUI. The person Sutter allegedly assaulted is a taxi cab driver which brings us to the 20 cent man himself, Patrick Kane, who was booked for assaulting a Buffalo cab driver in a dispute over change. What in the world do cab drivers do to hockey players that make them go off? This has to be a “cats and dogs” sort of thing.
Obviously we’ll find out eventually how this situation gets taken care of, but with the cab driver pressing charges, this is just the beginning for Brett Sutter. At the very least, he should be happy that it’s not a felony charge. Of course, avoiding situations like this would go a long way to staying out of trouble too.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)