Nov 11, 2010, 10:27 PM EDT
Various outlets – including RDS and The NHL Network’s On the Fly – are reporting that Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier is expected to miss three to four weeks with a broken hand. It’s believed that Lecavalier injured his hand during the second period of tonight’s 6-3 loss to the Washington Capitals.
On some level, the Lightning have already transitioned from being Lecavalier’s team to being fronted by red-hot sophomore Steve Stamkos. While the second year Stamkos is setting the league on fire with an NHL-leading 14 goals, Lecavalier quietly put up a solid three goals and six assists for nine points and a -3 rating in 13 games this season.
While he might not be the team’s leading scorer any longer, he’s still a big, talented player and vital cog as the Lightning captain. This injury will be tough to take, especially since there is no return date set for Simon Gagne.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)