Nov 11, 2010, 10:27 PM EDT
Various outlets – including RDS and The NHL Network’s On the Fly – are reporting that Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier is expected to miss three to four weeks with a broken hand. It’s believed that Lecavalier injured his hand during the second period of tonight’s 6-3 loss to the Washington Capitals.
On some level, the Lightning have already transitioned from being Lecavalier’s team to being fronted by red-hot sophomore Steve Stamkos. While the second year Stamkos is setting the league on fire with an NHL-leading 14 goals, Lecavalier quietly put up a solid three goals and six assists for nine points and a -3 rating in 13 games this season.
While he might not be the team’s leading scorer any longer, he’s still a big, talented player and vital cog as the Lightning captain. This injury will be tough to take, especially since there is no return date set for Simon Gagne.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 133
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 81
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7