Nov 11, 2010, 10:27 PM EDT
Various outlets – including RDS and The NHL Network’s On the Fly – are reporting that Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier is expected to miss three to four weeks with a broken hand. It’s believed that Lecavalier injured his hand during the second period of tonight’s 6-3 loss to the Washington Capitals.
On some level, the Lightning have already transitioned from being Lecavalier’s team to being fronted by red-hot sophomore Steve Stamkos. While the second year Stamkos is setting the league on fire with an NHL-leading 14 goals, Lecavalier quietly put up a solid three goals and six assists for nine points and a -3 rating in 13 games this season.
While he might not be the team’s leading scorer any longer, he’s still a big, talented player and vital cog as the Lightning captain. This injury will be tough to take, especially since there is no return date set for Simon Gagne.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)