Nov 11, 2010, 10:27 PM EDT
Various outlets – including RDS and The NHL Network’s On the Fly – are reporting that Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier is expected to miss three to four weeks with a broken hand. It’s believed that Lecavalier injured his hand during the second period of tonight’s 6-3 loss to the Washington Capitals.
On some level, the Lightning have already transitioned from being Lecavalier’s team to being fronted by red-hot sophomore Steve Stamkos. While the second year Stamkos is setting the league on fire with an NHL-leading 14 goals, Lecavalier quietly put up a solid three goals and six assists for nine points and a -3 rating in 13 games this season.
While he might not be the team’s leading scorer any longer, he’s still a big, talented player and vital cog as the Lightning captain. This injury will be tough to take, especially since there is no return date set for Simon Gagne.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)