Nov 11, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
There are products that athletes endorse that you can reasonably expect them to use. Naturally, Michael Jordan probably drank his fair share of Gatorade (or something similar) and probably wore his fair share of Nike shoes (although who knows, he might have actually worn other sneakers during real games). One can assume that Sidney Crosby can stand by his endorsement of Reebok products by skating with their skates and shooting with their sticks.
At the same time, there are products that you might want an athlete to shy away from, even if they are free to endorse them. It’s amusing to hear that Dunkin’ Donuts signed a deal with Boston Bruins rookie Tyler Seguin, but as endearing as it would be to imagine the youngster wolfing down an eclair or two, let’s hope he stays away from the fried pastries as much as possible.
Unless he wants to resemble Ron Dayne or take the hockey player fat joke torch from Martin Brodeur and Kyle Wellwood, that is.
Here are a few details from the related press release.
Seguin will serve as a spokesman and be the centerpiece of the company’s “Caught Cold” promotion. In it, New Englanders who are found drinking Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee during the NHL season will be given Bruins tickets, team souvenirs or Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards.
I applaud Seguin receiving an endorsement deal, but wouldn’t donuts make more sense for goalies Tuukka Rask and Tim Thomas? OK, I know that’s nitpicking, but I’m always looking for the next great/awful pun.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 18
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)