Nov 11, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
There are products that athletes endorse that you can reasonably expect them to use. Naturally, Michael Jordan probably drank his fair share of Gatorade (or something similar) and probably wore his fair share of Nike shoes (although who knows, he might have actually worn other sneakers during real games). One can assume that Sidney Crosby can stand by his endorsement of Reebok products by skating with their skates and shooting with their sticks.
At the same time, there are products that you might want an athlete to shy away from, even if they are free to endorse them. It’s amusing to hear that Dunkin’ Donuts signed a deal with Boston Bruins rookie Tyler Seguin, but as endearing as it would be to imagine the youngster wolfing down an eclair or two, let’s hope he stays away from the fried pastries as much as possible.
Unless he wants to resemble Ron Dayne or take the hockey player fat joke torch from Martin Brodeur and Kyle Wellwood, that is.
Here are a few details from the related press release.
Seguin will serve as a spokesman and be the centerpiece of the company’s “Caught Cold” promotion. In it, New Englanders who are found drinking Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee during the NHL season will be given Bruins tickets, team souvenirs or Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards.
I applaud Seguin receiving an endorsement deal, but wouldn’t donuts make more sense for goalies Tuukka Rask and Tim Thomas? OK, I know that’s nitpicking, but I’m always looking for the next great/awful pun.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)