Nov 11, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
There are products that athletes endorse that you can reasonably expect them to use. Naturally, Michael Jordan probably drank his fair share of Gatorade (or something similar) and probably wore his fair share of Nike shoes (although who knows, he might have actually worn other sneakers during real games). One can assume that Sidney Crosby can stand by his endorsement of Reebok products by skating with their skates and shooting with their sticks.
At the same time, there are products that you might want an athlete to shy away from, even if they are free to endorse them. It’s amusing to hear that Dunkin’ Donuts signed a deal with Boston Bruins rookie Tyler Seguin, but as endearing as it would be to imagine the youngster wolfing down an eclair or two, let’s hope he stays away from the fried pastries as much as possible.
Unless he wants to resemble Ron Dayne or take the hockey player fat joke torch from Martin Brodeur and Kyle Wellwood, that is.
Here are a few details from the related press release.
Seguin will serve as a spokesman and be the centerpiece of the company’s “Caught Cold” promotion. In it, New Englanders who are found drinking Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee during the NHL season will be given Bruins tickets, team souvenirs or Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards.
I applaud Seguin receiving an endorsement deal, but wouldn’t donuts make more sense for goalies Tuukka Rask and Tim Thomas? OK, I know that’s nitpicking, but I’m always looking for the next great/awful pun.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)