Nov 11, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
There are products that athletes endorse that you can reasonably expect them to use. Naturally, Michael Jordan probably drank his fair share of Gatorade (or something similar) and probably wore his fair share of Nike shoes (although who knows, he might have actually worn other sneakers during real games). One can assume that Sidney Crosby can stand by his endorsement of Reebok products by skating with their skates and shooting with their sticks.
At the same time, there are products that you might want an athlete to shy away from, even if they are free to endorse them. It’s amusing to hear that Dunkin’ Donuts signed a deal with Boston Bruins rookie Tyler Seguin, but as endearing as it would be to imagine the youngster wolfing down an eclair or two, let’s hope he stays away from the fried pastries as much as possible.
Unless he wants to resemble Ron Dayne or take the hockey player fat joke torch from Martin Brodeur and Kyle Wellwood, that is.
Here are a few details from the related press release.
Seguin will serve as a spokesman and be the centerpiece of the company’s “Caught Cold” promotion. In it, New Englanders who are found drinking Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee during the NHL season will be given Bruins tickets, team souvenirs or Dunkin’ Donuts gift cards.
I applaud Seguin receiving an endorsement deal, but wouldn’t donuts make more sense for goalies Tuukka Rask and Tim Thomas? OK, I know that’s nitpicking, but I’m always looking for the next great/awful pun.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)