Nov 10, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
After missing 12 games with a separated left shoulder, dynamic forward Marian Gaborik will reportedly return to action to help the occasionally offensively challenged (at least when Derek Boogaard isn’t scoring) New York Rangers.
Missing 12 games is a major problem for most NHL players, but in the case of Gaborik, it’s basically par for the course. He actually played more than 70 games in two of the last three seasons (76 in 2009-10 and 77 in 07-08), but he’s had an injury plagued career hit rock bottom in 08-09 when he only played in 17 games. As great and flashy as Gaborik can be, you need to accept the fact that he is an injury prone player.
Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants passes along the news, which includes some down notes about Michal Rozsival, who will miss at least a week with – get this – a shoulder injury.
Coach John Tortorella confirmed that Marian Gaborik would be in tomorrow’s lineup against the Sabres after missing 12 games with a separated left shoulder. However, he also announced that defenseman Michal Rozsival will miss 7-10 days with a shoulder strain that the team, at this point, does not believe will require surgery.
“He’s been playing through a really bad shoulder,” Tortorella said. “He’s been playing through this for quite a while and it’s gotten to the point now where he just can’t handle it and he’s worried about hurting the club so he’s out a week to 10 days. People boo him, people moan about him not shooting the puck. He’s had problems shooting the puck because of this shoulder and he’s stuck it out. He’s always stuck it out and played through some injuries. But now it’s just gotten so bad he needs to strengthen it.”
Gross reports that defenseman Matt Gilroy will replace Rozsival in the Rangers’ lineup to fill the gap.
Anyway, adjust your fantasy hockey lineups accordingly … or maybe wait to adjust your IR for a few games to make sure that Gaborik is really healthy.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 3
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 10
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)