Nov 10, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
After missing 12 games with a separated left shoulder, dynamic forward Marian Gaborik will reportedly return to action to help the occasionally offensively challenged (at least when Derek Boogaard isn’t scoring) New York Rangers.
Missing 12 games is a major problem for most NHL players, but in the case of Gaborik, it’s basically par for the course. He actually played more than 70 games in two of the last three seasons (76 in 2009-10 and 77 in 07-08), but he’s had an injury plagued career hit rock bottom in 08-09 when he only played in 17 games. As great and flashy as Gaborik can be, you need to accept the fact that he is an injury prone player.
Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants passes along the news, which includes some down notes about Michal Rozsival, who will miss at least a week with – get this – a shoulder injury.
Coach John Tortorella confirmed that Marian Gaborik would be in tomorrow’s lineup against the Sabres after missing 12 games with a separated left shoulder. However, he also announced that defenseman Michal Rozsival will miss 7-10 days with a shoulder strain that the team, at this point, does not believe will require surgery.
“He’s been playing through a really bad shoulder,” Tortorella said. “He’s been playing through this for quite a while and it’s gotten to the point now where he just can’t handle it and he’s worried about hurting the club so he’s out a week to 10 days. People boo him, people moan about him not shooting the puck. He’s had problems shooting the puck because of this shoulder and he’s stuck it out. He’s always stuck it out and played through some injuries. But now it’s just gotten so bad he needs to strengthen it.”
Gross reports that defenseman Matt Gilroy will replace Rozsival in the Rangers’ lineup to fill the gap.
Anyway, adjust your fantasy hockey lineups accordingly … or maybe wait to adjust your IR for a few games to make sure that Gaborik is really healthy.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)