Nov 10, 2010, 5:08 PM EDT
After missing 12 games with a separated left shoulder, dynamic forward Marian Gaborik will reportedly return to action to help the occasionally offensively challenged (at least when Derek Boogaard isn’t scoring) New York Rangers.
Missing 12 games is a major problem for most NHL players, but in the case of Gaborik, it’s basically par for the course. He actually played more than 70 games in two of the last three seasons (76 in 2009-10 and 77 in 07-08), but he’s had an injury plagued career hit rock bottom in 08-09 when he only played in 17 games. As great and flashy as Gaborik can be, you need to accept the fact that he is an injury prone player.
Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants passes along the news, which includes some down notes about Michal Rozsival, who will miss at least a week with – get this – a shoulder injury.
Coach John Tortorella confirmed that Marian Gaborik would be in tomorrow’s lineup against the Sabres after missing 12 games with a separated left shoulder. However, he also announced that defenseman Michal Rozsival will miss 7-10 days with a shoulder strain that the team, at this point, does not believe will require surgery.
“He’s been playing through a really bad shoulder,” Tortorella said. “He’s been playing through this for quite a while and it’s gotten to the point now where he just can’t handle it and he’s worried about hurting the club so he’s out a week to 10 days. People boo him, people moan about him not shooting the puck. He’s had problems shooting the puck because of this shoulder and he’s stuck it out. He’s always stuck it out and played through some injuries. But now it’s just gotten so bad he needs to strengthen it.”
Gross reports that defenseman Matt Gilroy will replace Rozsival in the Rangers’ lineup to fill the gap.
Anyway, adjust your fantasy hockey lineups accordingly … or maybe wait to adjust your IR for a few games to make sure that Gaborik is really healthy.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)