Nov 10, 2010, 12:16 AM EDT
With Marc Savard and Marco Sturm rehabbing long-term injuries, David Krejci dealing with his own concussion problems and Brian McGrattan shuttled down to the AHL, the Boston Bruins were already quite shorthanded.
The team might have yet another health issue on their hands, as Michael Ryder left practice early with an undisclosed injury, according to Douglas Flynn of NESN.
Ryder was in the dog house during much of the 2009-10 season (scoring only 33 points in 82 games) but was quite a bit more productive so far this season. He scored four goals and five assists for nine points in 11 games up to this point.
Bruins coach Claude Julien stated after practice that Ryder was expected to play Wednesday in Pittsburgh, but the Bruins did recall Jamie Arniel from Providence later Wednesday on an emergency basis. Arniel will join the team to Pittsburgh for Wednesday’s morning skate and be available for the game if needed.
“As of right now, as we speak, I don’t see an issue,” said Julien of Ryder’s status. “That doesn’t mean there won’t be. But he went off because I asked him to, to play it safe.”
Does the last name Arniel look familiar? There’s a good reason for that: the young forward is the nephew of Columbus Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel. If he gets into a game with the Bruins, it will be the first NHL game for the 20-year-old forward.
It’s unclear if Ryder will miss some time with whatever that injury might be, but losing the resurgent power forward could be a big loss for Boston. We’ll pass along updates as they come along.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)