Nov 10, 2010, 12:16 AM EDT
With Marc Savard and Marco Sturm rehabbing long-term injuries, David Krejci dealing with his own concussion problems and Brian McGrattan shuttled down to the AHL, the Boston Bruins were already quite shorthanded.
The team might have yet another health issue on their hands, as Michael Ryder left practice early with an undisclosed injury, according to Douglas Flynn of NESN.
Ryder was in the dog house during much of the 2009-10 season (scoring only 33 points in 82 games) but was quite a bit more productive so far this season. He scored four goals and five assists for nine points in 11 games up to this point.
Bruins coach Claude Julien stated after practice that Ryder was expected to play Wednesday in Pittsburgh, but the Bruins did recall Jamie Arniel from Providence later Wednesday on an emergency basis. Arniel will join the team to Pittsburgh for Wednesday’s morning skate and be available for the game if needed.
“As of right now, as we speak, I don’t see an issue,” said Julien of Ryder’s status. “That doesn’t mean there won’t be. But he went off because I asked him to, to play it safe.”
Does the last name Arniel look familiar? There’s a good reason for that: the young forward is the nephew of Columbus Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel. If he gets into a game with the Bruins, it will be the first NHL game for the 20-year-old forward.
It’s unclear if Ryder will miss some time with whatever that injury might be, but losing the resurgent power forward could be a big loss for Boston. We’ll pass along updates as they come along.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3