Nov 9, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
If you ask many hockey fans, the league’s late-night TV programming hasn’t been the same since the demise of NHL 2 Night, ESPN’s old highlight show that featured John Buccigross and Barry Melrose.
While On the Fly makes me think of the old NFL Primetime show because it goes above-and-beyond other programs by featuring more than just the big goals and biggest hits, it has some pluses and minuses. The NHL Network show is great in that it provides in-game peeks at live games and shows some of the big saves and other moments that usually fall through the cracks during other sports wrap-up shows. That being said, NHL Network reaches a niche audience of consumers who not only have cable but a package with a “premium” suite of channels, so it’s accurate to say that On the Fly hasn’t fully filled the shoes of NHL 2 Night.
Well, for those of you hoping for a nationally televised (at least on cable) wrap-up show, it sounds like Versus is about to premiere a show just like that.
Now that the hit-or-miss general sports show The Daily Line was canceled, there is room for the network to begin a new hockey show called NHL Overtime. Here is more about the program from Michael McCarthy of USA Today.
The one-hour show will premiere Nov. 15 and include game highlights, postgame player interviews, features and discussion. It will also delve into intercollegiate and international hockey.
NHL Overtime will take over the Monday-Thursday, 11 p.m. ET time slot previously occupied by TheDaily Line where Sterger served as co-host.
No word on who will serve as the show’s hosts just yet. It’s a minor bummer that it won’t air everyday of the week – Saturday nights tend to be the most hockey-saturated evenings, after all – but that’s a minor quibble when you consider the fact that it will provide an hourly summary of the night’s events.
Hockey fans have been calling for this for years. Hopefully it will be a quality program that covers the league with in-depth highlights (and maybe a little humor?). We’ll provide more details and maybe a review or two as time goes on.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming