Nov 9, 2010, 12:24 AM EST
One game tonight and both teams made it worthwhile by going to overtime before deciding the outcome.
Detroit 3 – Phoenix 2 (F/OT)
It’s almost a shame these two teams are seemingly getting all of their meetings this season out of the way in the first month and a half of the season because they’re playing some pretty fantastic games. Tonight saw the teams trade leads, land in overtime, and see the game end on a tip home by Henrik Zetterberg off a Ruslan Salei shot.
Dan Cleary got Detroit out to the lead with a goal in the first period, but Phoenix would score the next two goals thanks to Martin Hanzal late in the first and Keith Yandle in the second period. The Coyotes took that lead into the third period when Nicklas Lidstrom would tie the game up with just over 12 minutes to play to send the game to overtime where Zetterberg would end it.
Ilya Bryzgalov was brilliant once again stopping 37 shots in the loss while Jimmy Howard made 29 saves to earn the victory.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)