Nov 9, 2010, 12:24 AM EDT
One game tonight and both teams made it worthwhile by going to overtime before deciding the outcome.
Detroit 3 – Phoenix 2 (F/OT)
It’s almost a shame these two teams are seemingly getting all of their meetings this season out of the way in the first month and a half of the season because they’re playing some pretty fantastic games. Tonight saw the teams trade leads, land in overtime, and see the game end on a tip home by Henrik Zetterberg off a Ruslan Salei shot.
Dan Cleary got Detroit out to the lead with a goal in the first period, but Phoenix would score the next two goals thanks to Martin Hanzal late in the first and Keith Yandle in the second period. The Coyotes took that lead into the third period when Nicklas Lidstrom would tie the game up with just over 12 minutes to play to send the game to overtime where Zetterberg would end it.
Ilya Bryzgalov was brilliant once again stopping 37 shots in the loss while Jimmy Howard made 29 saves to earn the victory.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)