Nov 9, 2010, 12:24 AM EDT
One game tonight and both teams made it worthwhile by going to overtime before deciding the outcome.
Detroit 3 – Phoenix 2 (F/OT)
It’s almost a shame these two teams are seemingly getting all of their meetings this season out of the way in the first month and a half of the season because they’re playing some pretty fantastic games. Tonight saw the teams trade leads, land in overtime, and see the game end on a tip home by Henrik Zetterberg off a Ruslan Salei shot.
Dan Cleary got Detroit out to the lead with a goal in the first period, but Phoenix would score the next two goals thanks to Martin Hanzal late in the first and Keith Yandle in the second period. The Coyotes took that lead into the third period when Nicklas Lidstrom would tie the game up with just over 12 minutes to play to send the game to overtime where Zetterberg would end it.
Ilya Bryzgalov was brilliant once again stopping 37 shots in the loss while Jimmy Howard made 29 saves to earn the victory.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)