Nov 9, 2010, 12:24 AM EDT
One game tonight and both teams made it worthwhile by going to overtime before deciding the outcome.
Detroit 3 – Phoenix 2 (F/OT)
It’s almost a shame these two teams are seemingly getting all of their meetings this season out of the way in the first month and a half of the season because they’re playing some pretty fantastic games. Tonight saw the teams trade leads, land in overtime, and see the game end on a tip home by Henrik Zetterberg off a Ruslan Salei shot.
Dan Cleary got Detroit out to the lead with a goal in the first period, but Phoenix would score the next two goals thanks to Martin Hanzal late in the first and Keith Yandle in the second period. The Coyotes took that lead into the third period when Nicklas Lidstrom would tie the game up with just over 12 minutes to play to send the game to overtime where Zetterberg would end it.
Ilya Bryzgalov was brilliant once again stopping 37 shots in the loss while Jimmy Howard made 29 saves to earn the victory.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)