Nov 9, 2010, 12:24 AM EDT
One game tonight and both teams made it worthwhile by going to overtime before deciding the outcome.
Detroit 3 – Phoenix 2 (F/OT)
It’s almost a shame these two teams are seemingly getting all of their meetings this season out of the way in the first month and a half of the season because they’re playing some pretty fantastic games. Tonight saw the teams trade leads, land in overtime, and see the game end on a tip home by Henrik Zetterberg off a Ruslan Salei shot.
Dan Cleary got Detroit out to the lead with a goal in the first period, but Phoenix would score the next two goals thanks to Martin Hanzal late in the first and Keith Yandle in the second period. The Coyotes took that lead into the third period when Nicklas Lidstrom would tie the game up with just over 12 minutes to play to send the game to overtime where Zetterberg would end it.
Ilya Bryzgalov was brilliant once again stopping 37 shots in the loss while Jimmy Howard made 29 saves to earn the victory.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)