Nov 9, 2010, 12:31 PM EST
While the Rangers soldier on through this season without a handful of their big names, perhaps the team’s biggest name is set to make his triumphant return this week, perhaps as soon as Thursday. Last year’s leading scorer Marian Gaborik, who’s been out with a shoulder injury of late, is back on the ice and practicing with the team and is looking at possibly rejoining the starting lineup as soon as Thursday.
Gaborik said he still hopes to return to the lineup during the four-game homestand. The Rangers host the Sabres on Thursday and the Oilers on Sunday and tonight could be the 12th and last game he misses.
“It felt good and it’s fun to be getting more and more with the boys out there and with drills other than skating,” Gaborik said. “I’ll see how it feels and go day to day. It’s important to be in battles so I’m not afraid to go in the corners.”
You’d think that if Gaborik was feeling nervous about going into corners he might be a bit further off from getting on the ice. Perhaps that’s just him having flashbacks to the hit he took from Colby Armstrong that put him out. Jesse Spector from the New York Daily News finds out that Gaborik has a timetable set for getting back on the ice.
“I’m shooting for Thursday or Sunday,” said Gaborik, naming possible return dates for the first time. “I’ll know after practice tomorrow or the next day how everything goes. It’s either Thursday or Sunday.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 3
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 37
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35