Nov 9, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
While the Rangers soldier on through this season without a handful of their big names, perhaps the team’s biggest name is set to make his triumphant return this week, perhaps as soon as Thursday. Last year’s leading scorer Marian Gaborik, who’s been out with a shoulder injury of late, is back on the ice and practicing with the team and is looking at possibly rejoining the starting lineup as soon as Thursday.
Gaborik said he still hopes to return to the lineup during the four-game homestand. The Rangers host the Sabres on Thursday and the Oilers on Sunday and tonight could be the 12th and last game he misses.
“It felt good and it’s fun to be getting more and more with the boys out there and with drills other than skating,” Gaborik said. “I’ll see how it feels and go day to day. It’s important to be in battles so I’m not afraid to go in the corners.”
You’d think that if Gaborik was feeling nervous about going into corners he might be a bit further off from getting on the ice. Perhaps that’s just him having flashbacks to the hit he took from Colby Armstrong that put him out. Jesse Spector from the New York Daily News finds out that Gaborik has a timetable set for getting back on the ice.
“I’m shooting for Thursday or Sunday,” said Gaborik, naming possible return dates for the first time. “I’ll know after practice tomorrow or the next day how everything goes. It’s either Thursday or Sunday.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)