Nov 9, 2010, 12:31 PM EDT
While the Rangers soldier on through this season without a handful of their big names, perhaps the team’s biggest name is set to make his triumphant return this week, perhaps as soon as Thursday. Last year’s leading scorer Marian Gaborik, who’s been out with a shoulder injury of late, is back on the ice and practicing with the team and is looking at possibly rejoining the starting lineup as soon as Thursday.
Gaborik said he still hopes to return to the lineup during the four-game homestand. The Rangers host the Sabres on Thursday and the Oilers on Sunday and tonight could be the 12th and last game he misses.
“It felt good and it’s fun to be getting more and more with the boys out there and with drills other than skating,” Gaborik said. “I’ll see how it feels and go day to day. It’s important to be in battles so I’m not afraid to go in the corners.”
You’d think that if Gaborik was feeling nervous about going into corners he might be a bit further off from getting on the ice. Perhaps that’s just him having flashbacks to the hit he took from Colby Armstrong that put him out. Jesse Spector from the New York Daily News finds out that Gaborik has a timetable set for getting back on the ice.
“I’m shooting for Thursday or Sunday,” said Gaborik, naming possible return dates for the first time. “I’ll know after practice tomorrow or the next day how everything goes. It’s either Thursday or Sunday.”
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22