Nov 9, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
I know we’ve all heard about concussions enough to nearly be certified Internet experts about them, but if you’re part of the Colorado Avalanche defense, chances are you know more about them than anyone would ever want to. Avs defenseman Kyle Quincey is out of the lineup indefinitely thanks to a concussion and Adrian Dater of The Denver Post says that things are practically an epidemic now.
The Avs got more bad medical news today when it was learned defenseman Kyle Quincey will be out indefinitely with a concussion. He becomes the fourth Avalanche player to be sidelined with the injury, joining Adam Foote, Kyle Cumiskey and Peter Mueller.
“I can’t put my finger on that injury. It’s just one of those things that’s part of the game,” Avs coach Joe Sacco said. “I can’t put my finger on any reason why they’re happening.”
Obviously concussions aren’t contagious like the flu is but this is a rather remarkable situation in Denver. These injuries coupled with Craig Anderson’s mystery knee ailment as well as David Jones’ nagging health issues have really put the bite on the Avs early on this season.
To make up for it, the Avalanche are busy turning their team into Boston University’s alumni camp with former Terriers David Van der Gulik, Kevin Shattenkirk, and latest call-up Colby Cohen helping to fill out the roster. Those three along with starter Brandon Yip help to give BU fans a vested rooting interest in the Avalanche that has absolutely nothing to do with Ray Bourque.
With all these injuries to deal with, the Avalanche blue line looks like a rookie camp lineup and with Peter Budaj holding down things in goal for the time being, head coach Joe Sacco’s abilities are being tested big time early on in Denver. So far, so good for Colorado as they hold down a 7-5-1 record and are winners in three of their last four. For now, perhaps the rest of the Avalanche lineup should get familiar with some of the songs made famous by the BU band.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)