Nov 9, 2010, 5:27 PM EST
I know we’ve all heard about concussions enough to nearly be certified Internet experts about them, but if you’re part of the Colorado Avalanche defense, chances are you know more about them than anyone would ever want to. Avs defenseman Kyle Quincey is out of the lineup indefinitely thanks to a concussion and Adrian Dater of The Denver Post says that things are practically an epidemic now.
The Avs got more bad medical news today when it was learned defenseman Kyle Quincey will be out indefinitely with a concussion. He becomes the fourth Avalanche player to be sidelined with the injury, joining Adam Foote, Kyle Cumiskey and Peter Mueller.
“I can’t put my finger on that injury. It’s just one of those things that’s part of the game,” Avs coach Joe Sacco said. “I can’t put my finger on any reason why they’re happening.”
Obviously concussions aren’t contagious like the flu is but this is a rather remarkable situation in Denver. These injuries coupled with Craig Anderson’s mystery knee ailment as well as David Jones’ nagging health issues have really put the bite on the Avs early on this season.
To make up for it, the Avalanche are busy turning their team into Boston University’s alumni camp with former Terriers David Van der Gulik, Kevin Shattenkirk, and latest call-up Colby Cohen helping to fill out the roster. Those three along with starter Brandon Yip help to give BU fans a vested rooting interest in the Avalanche that has absolutely nothing to do with Ray Bourque.
With all these injuries to deal with, the Avalanche blue line looks like a rookie camp lineup and with Peter Budaj holding down things in goal for the time being, head coach Joe Sacco’s abilities are being tested big time early on in Denver. So far, so good for Colorado as they hold down a 7-5-1 record and are winners in three of their last four. For now, perhaps the rest of the Avalanche lineup should get familiar with some of the songs made famous by the BU band.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 27
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 34