Nov 9, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
It’s been an odd night at Madison Square Garden so far.
For one thing, the Rangers’ goal scoring has been fairly mind-blowing. Brian Boyle is transitioning from a Los Angeles Kings castoff to a jumbo-sized find, as his two goals brings his season total to seven. The most surprising tally, though, goes to Derek Boogaard. The fearsome fighter scored his first goal in 234 games and it wasn’t any accident; he slapped that puck into the top of the net to foil Michal Neuvirth. (We’ll try to track down video of that for tonight or tomorrow morning.)
But goal scoring isn’t the only area of oddness, as you can see from the fight above. While it won’t make it into many best fights compilations, it’s worth a look because of the unlikeliness of the combatants: offensive defenseman Mike Green and two-way forward Brandon Dubinsky.
Unlike in many surprising star fights so far this season, this one seemed to lack much zip. It didn’t seem particularly sloppy or passionate, as it seemed like both were tuckered out enough that it was easy for officials to break them apart.
On the bright side, it was pretty funny. Who do you think won the fight … if anyone?
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63