Nov 9, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
It’s been an odd night at Madison Square Garden so far.
For one thing, the Rangers’ goal scoring has been fairly mind-blowing. Brian Boyle is transitioning from a Los Angeles Kings castoff to a jumbo-sized find, as his two goals brings his season total to seven. The most surprising tally, though, goes to Derek Boogaard. The fearsome fighter scored his first goal in 234 games and it wasn’t any accident; he slapped that puck into the top of the net to foil Michal Neuvirth. (We’ll try to track down video of that for tonight or tomorrow morning.)
But goal scoring isn’t the only area of oddness, as you can see from the fight above. While it won’t make it into many best fights compilations, it’s worth a look because of the unlikeliness of the combatants: offensive defenseman Mike Green and two-way forward Brandon Dubinsky.
Unlike in many surprising star fights so far this season, this one seemed to lack much zip. It didn’t seem particularly sloppy or passionate, as it seemed like both were tuckered out enough that it was easy for officials to break them apart.
On the bright side, it was pretty funny. Who do you think won the fight … if anyone?
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 3
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14