Nov 8, 2010, 2:22 PM EST
Much like fellow waiver wire victim Brian McGrattan in Ottawa, Montreal Canadiens winger Dustin Boyd shouldn’t be too surprised that he was waived today. That’s exactly what happened, though, according to TSN.
When you spend a handful of games as a healthy scratch – as Boyd did during the five-game period that went from October 22 to November 1 – it’s often just a matter of time before you get sent down to the minors. Any NHL team can claim the 24-year-old forward on waivers, but if no one claims him he’ll report to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.
Boyd is making only $650K on a one-year contract and will be a restricted free agent after this season, so if a team deems him to be a worthy investment, they can snatch him up at little cost.
The deeming him a worthy investment part might be a little tricky, though. That’s because he’s been a marginal player at best in Montreal, scoring only one goal while putting up a dismal -6 rating in nine games this season.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 3
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 68
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 70
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (73)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (72)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (72)