Nov 8, 2010, 2:22 PM EST
Much like fellow waiver wire victim Brian McGrattan in Ottawa, Montreal Canadiens winger Dustin Boyd shouldn’t be too surprised that he was waived today. That’s exactly what happened, though, according to TSN.
When you spend a handful of games as a healthy scratch – as Boyd did during the five-game period that went from October 22 to November 1 – it’s often just a matter of time before you get sent down to the minors. Any NHL team can claim the 24-year-old forward on waivers, but if no one claims him he’ll report to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.
Boyd is making only $650K on a one-year contract and will be a restricted free agent after this season, so if a team deems him to be a worthy investment, they can snatch him up at little cost.
The deeming him a worthy investment part might be a little tricky, though. That’s because he’s been a marginal player at best in Montreal, scoring only one goal while putting up a dismal -6 rating in nine games this season.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 18
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)