Nov 8, 2010, 2:22 PM EDT
Much like fellow waiver wire victim Brian McGrattan in Ottawa, Montreal Canadiens winger Dustin Boyd shouldn’t be too surprised that he was waived today. That’s exactly what happened, though, according to TSN.
When you spend a handful of games as a healthy scratch – as Boyd did during the five-game period that went from October 22 to November 1 – it’s often just a matter of time before you get sent down to the minors. Any NHL team can claim the 24-year-old forward on waivers, but if no one claims him he’ll report to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.
Boyd is making only $650K on a one-year contract and will be a restricted free agent after this season, so if a team deems him to be a worthy investment, they can snatch him up at little cost.
The deeming him a worthy investment part might be a little tricky, though. That’s because he’s been a marginal player at best in Montreal, scoring only one goal while putting up a dismal -6 rating in nine games this season.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)