Nov 8, 2010, 9:21 PM EDT
What do you do with a 22 year-old center who’s having a breakout season and he’s in the final year of his contract before becoming a restricted free agent? You make sure that you sign him up for a few more seasons with your team before he becomes a target for offer sheets in the off=season. That’s exactly what Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has done with Claude Giroux, signing him to a three-year contract extension worth $11.25 million.
For Giroux, it’s been a slowly building process for him to reach this level of play. He’s in his third NHL season this year, and coming off a playoffs that saw him emerge as one of the better Flyers forwards on their run to the Stanley Cup finals. Giroux has picked up where he left off last year as he leads the Flyers in points this season ahead of more notable Flyers scorers Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. The cap hit for Giroux is a cozy $3.75 million per year. If he continues to be a threat in all manners of the game at even strength, on the power play, and on the penalty kill that price tag will be a bargain for the Flyers.
Now the Flyers just have to hope the scoring continues and his ability as a wreaker of havoc on special teams can evolve to an even more dangerous level. They’ll also hope that the semi-sweetheart deal Giroux signed sets a good example for future free agent-to-be Jeff Carter whose contract ends after this season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)