Nov 8, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Tough news for a tough guy: the Boston Bruins decided to waive fighter Brian McGrattan today, according to TSN.
The move certainly makes sense from a hockey standpoint: McGrattan apparently was a healthy scratch during nine games and also was sent to the minors for a three-game conditioning stint.
Honestly, he hasn’t done much aside from calling out former teammate and overall pest Chris Neil of the Ottawa Senators. He didn’t appear in any games with the Bruins this year, but in five seasons in the NHL, McGrattan played in 182 games while racking up 395 penalty minutes.
McGrattan is making the league minimum, but if he clears waivers, he’ll earn substantially less ($105K instead of $515K if he plays at the AHL level, according to CapGeek). At 29 years old, it’s unlikely that he’s going to learn any new hockey skills. So good luck to him as he tries to fight his way back to the NHL … literally and figuratively.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)