Nov 8, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Tough news for a tough guy: the Boston Bruins decided to waive fighter Brian McGrattan today, according to TSN.
The move certainly makes sense from a hockey standpoint: McGrattan apparently was a healthy scratch during nine games and also was sent to the minors for a three-game conditioning stint.
Honestly, he hasn’t done much aside from calling out former teammate and overall pest Chris Neil of the Ottawa Senators. He didn’t appear in any games with the Bruins this year, but in five seasons in the NHL, McGrattan played in 182 games while racking up 395 penalty minutes.
McGrattan is making the league minimum, but if he clears waivers, he’ll earn substantially less ($105K instead of $515K if he plays at the AHL level, according to CapGeek). At 29 years old, it’s unlikely that he’s going to learn any new hockey skills. So good luck to him as he tries to fight his way back to the NHL … literally and figuratively.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)