Nov 7, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
After a Cinderella 2009-10 season that ended after they gave the Detroit Red Wings everything they could handle in a seven game first round series, the Phoenix Coyotes seem like their plummeting back to earth. (Aren’t you glad I didn’t make some kind of pumpkin reference?)
Perhaps it’s the loss of Zbynek Michalek or maybe the “Us against the World” mentality cannot be maintained through two seasons. Whatever the case may be, the Coyotes are struggling mightily right now. Sure, they’re maintaining at least some of their scrappy mindset – after all, four of their losses came after regulation – but there’s only so much positive spin you can put on winning just six of your last eight games.
Good news doesn’t seem like it’s coming anytime soon for the Coyotes, either. He already missed three games due to a suspension this season, but now Shane Doan will be on the shelf for an indefinite amount of time with a lower-body injury. TSN has the story.
The Phoenix Coyotes will be without the services of Shane Doan for an extended period, after the team captain suffered a lower-body injury in a collision with Dallas defenceman Nicklas Grossman in the final minutes of a 6-3 loss to the Stars on Friday.
Team officials say Doan’s status will be evaluated ”week-to-week.”
You know an injury could be a pretty big problem if teams are measuring the evaluation process by weeks, not days.
To be fair, Doan isn’t quite the pivotal player he once was for the Coyotes, despite being a valuable leader. After two 28+ goal and 70+ point seasons, Doan only scored 18 goals and 55 points last season. He only had one goal and two assists for three points so far in 2010-11, so it’s hard to say he’s downright irreplaceable.
That being said, he will be missed. The question is: for how long? We’ll pass along updates on his condition, even if they only filter through on a “week-to-week” basis.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 29
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 14
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 3
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 57
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (57)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)