Nov 7, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
After a Cinderella 2009-10 season that ended after they gave the Detroit Red Wings everything they could handle in a seven game first round series, the Phoenix Coyotes seem like their plummeting back to earth. (Aren’t you glad I didn’t make some kind of pumpkin reference?)
Perhaps it’s the loss of Zbynek Michalek or maybe the “Us against the World” mentality cannot be maintained through two seasons. Whatever the case may be, the Coyotes are struggling mightily right now. Sure, they’re maintaining at least some of their scrappy mindset – after all, four of their losses came after regulation – but there’s only so much positive spin you can put on winning just six of your last eight games.
Good news doesn’t seem like it’s coming anytime soon for the Coyotes, either. He already missed three games due to a suspension this season, but now Shane Doan will be on the shelf for an indefinite amount of time with a lower-body injury. TSN has the story.
The Phoenix Coyotes will be without the services of Shane Doan for an extended period, after the team captain suffered a lower-body injury in a collision with Dallas defenceman Nicklas Grossman in the final minutes of a 6-3 loss to the Stars on Friday.
Team officials say Doan’s status will be evaluated ”week-to-week.”
You know an injury could be a pretty big problem if teams are measuring the evaluation process by weeks, not days.
To be fair, Doan isn’t quite the pivotal player he once was for the Coyotes, despite being a valuable leader. After two 28+ goal and 70+ point seasons, Doan only scored 18 goals and 55 points last season. He only had one goal and two assists for three points so far in 2010-11, so it’s hard to say he’s downright irreplaceable.
That being said, he will be missed. The question is: for how long? We’ll pass along updates on his condition, even if they only filter through on a “week-to-week” basis.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)