Nov 7, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
After a Cinderella 2009-10 season that ended after they gave the Detroit Red Wings everything they could handle in a seven game first round series, the Phoenix Coyotes seem like their plummeting back to earth. (Aren’t you glad I didn’t make some kind of pumpkin reference?)
Perhaps it’s the loss of Zbynek Michalek or maybe the “Us against the World” mentality cannot be maintained through two seasons. Whatever the case may be, the Coyotes are struggling mightily right now. Sure, they’re maintaining at least some of their scrappy mindset – after all, four of their losses came after regulation – but there’s only so much positive spin you can put on winning just six of your last eight games.
Good news doesn’t seem like it’s coming anytime soon for the Coyotes, either. He already missed three games due to a suspension this season, but now Shane Doan will be on the shelf for an indefinite amount of time with a lower-body injury. TSN has the story.
The Phoenix Coyotes will be without the services of Shane Doan for an extended period, after the team captain suffered a lower-body injury in a collision with Dallas defenceman Nicklas Grossman in the final minutes of a 6-3 loss to the Stars on Friday.
Team officials say Doan’s status will be evaluated ”week-to-week.”
You know an injury could be a pretty big problem if teams are measuring the evaluation process by weeks, not days.
To be fair, Doan isn’t quite the pivotal player he once was for the Coyotes, despite being a valuable leader. After two 28+ goal and 70+ point seasons, Doan only scored 18 goals and 55 points last season. He only had one goal and two assists for three points so far in 2010-11, so it’s hard to say he’s downright irreplaceable.
That being said, he will be missed. The question is: for how long? We’ll pass along updates on his condition, even if they only filter through on a “week-to-week” basis.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 11
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 51
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 18
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)