Nov 7, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
With how many teams are starting off the season in difficult style in the standings, we’re approaching that time when eyes start being cast upon those who might have their jobs in jeopardy if things don’t start getting turned around quickly. One such coach who now has to start watching his back is Islanders head man Scott Gordon as Larry Brooks of the New York Post reports this morning that Gordon’s job is now on the line after the Islanders lost their seventh straight game last night.
There is talk circulating through the network of hockey personnel people that Scott Gordon ‘s job behind the Islanders’ bench is in serious jeopardy.
Can’t for the life of us understand why the coach hasn’t been able to squeeze more out of his $1.29 payroll, and by the way, for how long exactly is Charles Wang going to use The Lighthouse as an excuse to hold his franchise hostage?
All right so the Isles payroll is thin, we get that, but that’s not the Isles problem right now. Their problem at the moment is that their defense is terrible, goalies Dwayne Roloson and Rick DiPietro are inconsistent, and their missing arguably their top two players in Mark Streit and Kyle Okposo. Making life more difficult is that their offense has dried up as well as the Isles have scored just six goals in their last five games. If you’re not keeping the puck out of your own net, you’d better be able to fill the opponents net to keep up with them and the Isles haven’t been able to do that lately.
Uprooting Gordon from his job and changing things up, right now, seems like a panic move. Then again, seven game skids this early in the season are rare and generally indicative of a problem with the team. For the Islanders, their problem is that a team that was already thin on talent is without a large amount of it. A hot start to the season by Josh Bailey has cooled off considerably as he’s been without a point in his last seven games, a stretch which has seen him put up a -5 plus/minus rating. If Garth Snow and owner Charles Wang think that sweeping Scott Gordon out is going to change things on Long Island right now, they might be just fooling themselves. The Islanders problems can be allayed by just getting healthy.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)