Nov 7, 2010, 10:10 PM EDT
At this point in the season, there really isn’t any doubt left: the New Jersey Devils are the worst team in the NHL.
You can make arguments regarding their on-paper talent or perhaps you’d rather point to their almost-as-inept Conference mates in Buffalo, but for pure results, it’s no contest. They’ve produced a league-low nine points despite being tied for the second-most games played (15 … only the Chicago Blackhawks played more with 17). They’ve scored only 25 goals and allowed 48, making their -23 goal differential the NHL’s worst by eight. (The closest “contender” is their free-falling division rivals, the New York Islanders.)
So, again, the Devils are the worst team in the league by just about any big picture, objective standard.
Despite these facts, embattled first-year coach John MacLean is saying all the right things. At least, he’s saying them publicly, as he told Rich Chere of the Newark Star Ledger.
“I’m fine. We’ll get through this,” MacLean said today. “As a (coaching) staff we’re going to get through this. We have to keep believing, and we do.
“It’s not easy and it’s not going to be easy. We have to keep our energy up and our enthusiasm up, come in every day and do our workl and get this thing turned around. I have confidence in myself and in the coaching staff that we’ll get this going in the right direction.”
While a few games might skew the numbers, click here for some of the numbers from the Devils’ rocky start. We’ll see if MacLean confidently leads the Devils out of their bleak situation or gets fired soon enough.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)