Nov 7, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
While the Bruins are certainly playing well this year, they haven’t been absolved from injuries. With Marc Savard and Marco Sturm already out of the lineup, the Bruins will have to make do without the services of David Krejci for a little while as Krejci has been diagnosed with a concussion. Krejci suffered the concussion last night thanks to a wicked open ice hit by Blues forward T.J. Oshie. Krejci then smacked his head on the dasher on his way down to the ice. You can see video of the hit here on YouTube. Joe Haggerty of CSN-NE reports that Krejci will miss at least a week of action.
The 24-year-old playmaker will be out at least a week with the concussion, and will be evaluated by team doctors before returning to the B’s lineup. Krejci has a pair of goals and eights assists in 11 games with the B’s, and his presence will clearly be missed on the top alongside Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton with games against the Penguins, Canadiens and Senators this week.
The Bruins now have an interesting arrangement up the middle at center. Patrice Bergeron now figures to be the team’s top center with both Krejci and Savard out and rookie Tyler Seguin could slot in as the #2 man. Seguin was benched for most of the third period in last night’s shootout loss to the Blues after playing possibly his worst game of the season. Seguin did participate in the shootout and scored a pretty goal on Jaroslav Halak.
The Bruins have a bit too much experience in dealing with centers with concussions so if you’re worried that they’ll rush Krejci back into action, how they’ve handled Patrice Bergeron and Marc Savard in the past should tell you otherwise. The effect Krejci’s absence has on the offense should be noted right away. The Bruins offense hasn’t been the focus of the team thanks to the play of Tim Thomas, but the Bruins will need to generate more offense as the season goes along no matter what. Thomas and Rask won’t be supermen all year long and the B’s troubles scoring (22nd out of 30 teams in scoring so far this year) will come into focus soon enough.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)