Nov 6, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
For a recap of the six “early” games, read this post.
For a team with one win in their last nine games, the Oilers pushed a legitimate contender like the Red Wings to the limit. It was a great goalie duel, as Jimmy Howard made 29 out of 30 saves to beat out Nikolai Khabibulin’s 27 out of 29.
Justin Abdelkader and Valtteri Filppula scored the big goals for Detroit while Danny Clearly added an empty-netter. Taylor Hall scored Edmonton’s only goal on the power play, his third of the season.
It was a battle between two struggling (former?) contenders – not to mention teams with cute and cuddly mascots – and the Ducks won.
After a scoreless first period, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored three goals in a little under seven minutes to give Anaheim a 3-0 lead. Sidney Crosby scored two goals – one late in the second and the other early in the third – to bring Pittsburgh within one, but the Penguins’ misery extended to 1-4-1 in their last six games after they fell short despite out-shooting Anaheim 12-4 in third.
Jonas Hiller stopped 30 out of 32 to even up his season at 5-5 while reliable scapegoat Marc-Andre Fleury allowed three goals on only 19 shots to bring his horrid 2010-11 record to 1-6.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 43
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 74
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks