Nov 6, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
For a recap of the six “early” games, read this post.
For a team with one win in their last nine games, the Oilers pushed a legitimate contender like the Red Wings to the limit. It was a great goalie duel, as Jimmy Howard made 29 out of 30 saves to beat out Nikolai Khabibulin’s 27 out of 29.
Justin Abdelkader and Valtteri Filppula scored the big goals for Detroit while Danny Clearly added an empty-netter. Taylor Hall scored Edmonton’s only goal on the power play, his third of the season.
It was a battle between two struggling (former?) contenders – not to mention teams with cute and cuddly mascots – and the Ducks won.
After a scoreless first period, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored three goals in a little under seven minutes to give Anaheim a 3-0 lead. Sidney Crosby scored two goals – one late in the second and the other early in the third – to bring Pittsburgh within one, but the Penguins’ misery extended to 1-4-1 in their last six games after they fell short despite out-shooting Anaheim 12-4 in third.
Jonas Hiller stopped 30 out of 32 to even up his season at 5-5 while reliable scapegoat Marc-Andre Fleury allowed three goals on only 19 shots to bring his horrid 2010-11 record to 1-6.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)