Nov 6, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
For a recap of the six “early” games, read this post.
For a team with one win in their last nine games, the Oilers pushed a legitimate contender like the Red Wings to the limit. It was a great goalie duel, as Jimmy Howard made 29 out of 30 saves to beat out Nikolai Khabibulin’s 27 out of 29.
Justin Abdelkader and Valtteri Filppula scored the big goals for Detroit while Danny Clearly added an empty-netter. Taylor Hall scored Edmonton’s only goal on the power play, his third of the season.
It was a battle between two struggling (former?) contenders – not to mention teams with cute and cuddly mascots – and the Ducks won.
After a scoreless first period, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored three goals in a little under seven minutes to give Anaheim a 3-0 lead. Sidney Crosby scored two goals – one late in the second and the other early in the third – to bring Pittsburgh within one, but the Penguins’ misery extended to 1-4-1 in their last six games after they fell short despite out-shooting Anaheim 12-4 in third.
Jonas Hiller stopped 30 out of 32 to even up his season at 5-5 while reliable scapegoat Marc-Andre Fleury allowed three goals on only 19 shots to bring his horrid 2010-11 record to 1-6.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)