Nov 5, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT
Two different superstar goalies whose teams rely on them heavily to win games for them won’t be hitting the ice tonight. New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur who left the Devils’ last game early with an apparent elbow injury won’t be playing tonight as the Devils take on the New York Rangers. For Brodeur, he tried everything out today in practice and just didn’t feel right enough to play what a full and potentially frustrating game against the Rangers. Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti gets the word from Brodeur himself.
Brodeur made it clear that his elbow feels much better than it did on Wednesday.
“Not even close,” he said. “It got better. There was no way I could have finished the game in Chicago and yesterday was painful going through and I thought everything was going good. This morning I thought everything was going to be all right, but I needed to get on the ice to really find out. If I took the morning off, I probably would have played tonight, but I needed to go on and see how I felt.”
Brodeur said “the first couple of shots even feeling the puck was fine.”
“I just swatted a puck out, just a rebound, and I kind of felt like a sharp pain and from there, after that it’s not worth it,” he said.
Johan Hedberg will start for New Jersey in his place. The Devils also called up Jeff Frazee from Albany to play as Hedberg’s backup tonight as Brodeur won’t suit up at all. We’re sure that Sean Avery will be disappointed that he won’t get to whisper sweet nothings in Marty’s ear tonight.
In Buffalo, things are a bit sketchier for Ryan Miller. Miller missed the Sabres previous game against the Bruins and it appears that he’s not going to play at all this weekend either missing tonight’s game against Montreal and Saturday’s against Toronto. Bill Hoppe tweets that the Sabres say Miller is out for this weekend’s games.
For the Sabres, being without Miller is a huge problem as was shown in their 5-2 loss to the Bruins that saw Jhonas Enroth get chased from the game. Patrick Lalime hasn’t been a solid backup option for Buffalo playing poorly when he has started. Any hopes of seeing the Sabres right the ship this weekend took a big hit with Miller’s news. The pressure is now on the offense to step up and try to help either Enroth or Lalime out.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)