Nov 5, 2010, 8:21 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues cruised through October with a nice record, but a tough November is going to get that much rougher now that they face the third significant injury to their banged up defensive corps.
As you may already know, Roman Polak (out indefinitely) went down with a lacerated wrist while Carlo Colaiacovo went on the injured reserve because of concussion issues.
Add another top-six defenseman to the Blues’ growing list of injured players, as rugged-yet-oft-injured blueliner Barret Jackman was also placed on the IR with a sprained knee, according to the Blues.
Dealing with those three injuries will be especially tough for the Blues considering their challenging November schedule; they face a handful of back-to-back games, plenty of road contests and 13 more games overall this month (read more about that here).
Here is a little more information on Polak, Jackman and Jackman’s potential replacement from the Blues.
Jackman will be re-evaluated in three weeks by Dr. Rick Wright.
In addition, Blues’ defenseman Roman Polak will have his wrist laceration re-evaluated in eight weeks by Dr. Martin Boyes.
The Blues have recalled defenseman Ian Cole from the Blues’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Peoria Rivermen.
Jackman’s injury shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise, unfortunately. Aside from playing a full season in 2008-09 and 78 games in 2007-08, he’s been on the shelf with a wide variety off injuries during his nine seasons in the NHL. He missed 16 games last season and played in 70 in 06-07 and 63 in 05-06.
It’s unclear how long he’ll be out, but judging from the team, it will be at least three weeks. I guess we’ll see what this team really is made of in November.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 24
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 46
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 51
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 29
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10