Nov 5, 2010, 8:21 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues cruised through October with a nice record, but a tough November is going to get that much rougher now that they face the third significant injury to their banged up defensive corps.
As you may already know, Roman Polak (out indefinitely) went down with a lacerated wrist while Carlo Colaiacovo went on the injured reserve because of concussion issues.
Add another top-six defenseman to the Blues’ growing list of injured players, as rugged-yet-oft-injured blueliner Barret Jackman was also placed on the IR with a sprained knee, according to the Blues.
Dealing with those three injuries will be especially tough for the Blues considering their challenging November schedule; they face a handful of back-to-back games, plenty of road contests and 13 more games overall this month (read more about that here).
Here is a little more information on Polak, Jackman and Jackman’s potential replacement from the Blues.
Jackman will be re-evaluated in three weeks by Dr. Rick Wright.
In addition, Blues’ defenseman Roman Polak will have his wrist laceration re-evaluated in eight weeks by Dr. Martin Boyes.
The Blues have recalled defenseman Ian Cole from the Blues’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Peoria Rivermen.
Jackman’s injury shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise, unfortunately. Aside from playing a full season in 2008-09 and 78 games in 2007-08, he’s been on the shelf with a wide variety off injuries during his nine seasons in the NHL. He missed 16 games last season and played in 70 in 06-07 and 63 in 05-06.
It’s unclear how long he’ll be out, but judging from the team, it will be at least three weeks. I guess we’ll see what this team really is made of in November.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)