Nov 5, 2010, 8:56 PM EST
A few months ago, we passed along the news that Mark Wells decided to make the sad decision to sell his gold medal from the unforgettable* 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey team run (aka “The Miracle on Ice”).
At the time, estimates indicated that the gold medal would fetch something along the lines of a $125K bid because of the moment’s historic importance and the extreme rarity of such openly endorsed gold medals. (Plus it’s made of gold … that’s what I like to call the Shiny Object Bonus.)
Well, Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy points out that the auction went for much more than that, fetching an impressive – though far from unthinkable – $310,700 from an unnamed bidder at Heritage Auctions.
Wells went out of his way to prove that the medal was his, including writing an emotional (and somewhat heartbreaking) letter that pointed out the fact that he slept with the medal until the day he was forced to give it up. Ouch.
Who knows what will be done with the gold medal, but hopefully Wells might see it again someday.
* – I say this was unforgettable mainly from stories I’ve been told, since it happened more than four years before I was born.
(Gold medal image via Heritage Auctions.)
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)