Nov 5, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
A few months ago, we passed along the news that Mark Wells decided to make the sad decision to sell his gold medal from the unforgettable* 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey team run (aka “The Miracle on Ice”).
At the time, estimates indicated that the gold medal would fetch something along the lines of a $125K bid because of the moment’s historic importance and the extreme rarity of such openly endorsed gold medals. (Plus it’s made of gold … that’s what I like to call the Shiny Object Bonus.)
Well, Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy points out that the auction went for much more than that, fetching an impressive – though far from unthinkable – $310,700 from an unnamed bidder at Heritage Auctions.
Wells went out of his way to prove that the medal was his, including writing an emotional (and somewhat heartbreaking) letter that pointed out the fact that he slept with the medal until the day he was forced to give it up. Ouch.
Who knows what will be done with the gold medal, but hopefully Wells might see it again someday.
* – I say this was unforgettable mainly from stories I’ve been told, since it happened more than four years before I was born.
(Gold medal image via Heritage Auctions.)
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)