Nov 5, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
For whom does the Wheel of Justice toll? It tolls for thee, Joe Thornton.
Sharks captain Joe Thornton was suspended by the NHL today for two games for his illegal check to the head of Blues forward David Perron in the second period of the Blues 2-0 win last night. Earlier today, we stuck our neck out on the line thinking that Thornton wouldn’t get suspended, thinking that getting kicked out of the game for the infraction would be viewed as punishment enough. As always, when it comes to the league handing down punishment, we should be smart enough to know better than to guess at what’s going on.
If you’re a Sharks fan and looking to send your angry letters to Colin Campbell, you might want to add another name to the greeting as Mike Murphy handled Thornton’s hearing while Campbell was traveling. Campbell and Murphy did work together to make their decision however. Understandably so, the Sharks are highly displeased with the ruling as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun and TSN’s Darren Dreger each have tweeted. LeBrun says the Sharks felt it was the same kind of hit that Ottawa Senators forward Nick Foligno had this year that earned him just a fine.
According to the NHL, Thornton will forfeit $77,419.36 in his two games out of action. That’s a lot of jack but at least it goes to a good place with the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. Still, if the Thornton wanted to give to charity, I’m sure he could’ve found another way to do it.
Next week’s GM meetings should have a bit more spice to them now with these rulings to discuss.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)