Nov 5, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
For whom does the Wheel of Justice toll? It tolls for thee, Joe Thornton.
Sharks captain Joe Thornton was suspended by the NHL today for two games for his illegal check to the head of Blues forward David Perron in the second period of the Blues 2-0 win last night. Earlier today, we stuck our neck out on the line thinking that Thornton wouldn’t get suspended, thinking that getting kicked out of the game for the infraction would be viewed as punishment enough. As always, when it comes to the league handing down punishment, we should be smart enough to know better than to guess at what’s going on.
If you’re a Sharks fan and looking to send your angry letters to Colin Campbell, you might want to add another name to the greeting as Mike Murphy handled Thornton’s hearing while Campbell was traveling. Campbell and Murphy did work together to make their decision however. Understandably so, the Sharks are highly displeased with the ruling as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun and TSN’s Darren Dreger each have tweeted. LeBrun says the Sharks felt it was the same kind of hit that Ottawa Senators forward Nick Foligno had this year that earned him just a fine.
According to the NHL, Thornton will forfeit $77,419.36 in his two games out of action. That’s a lot of jack but at least it goes to a good place with the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. Still, if the Thornton wanted to give to charity, I’m sure he could’ve found another way to do it.
Next week’s GM meetings should have a bit more spice to them now with these rulings to discuss.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 45
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)