Nov 5, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
For whom does the Wheel of Justice toll? It tolls for thee, Joe Thornton.
Sharks captain Joe Thornton was suspended by the NHL today for two games for his illegal check to the head of Blues forward David Perron in the second period of the Blues 2-0 win last night. Earlier today, we stuck our neck out on the line thinking that Thornton wouldn’t get suspended, thinking that getting kicked out of the game for the infraction would be viewed as punishment enough. As always, when it comes to the league handing down punishment, we should be smart enough to know better than to guess at what’s going on.
If you’re a Sharks fan and looking to send your angry letters to Colin Campbell, you might want to add another name to the greeting as Mike Murphy handled Thornton’s hearing while Campbell was traveling. Campbell and Murphy did work together to make their decision however. Understandably so, the Sharks are highly displeased with the ruling as ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun and TSN’s Darren Dreger each have tweeted. LeBrun says the Sharks felt it was the same kind of hit that Ottawa Senators forward Nick Foligno had this year that earned him just a fine.
According to the NHL, Thornton will forfeit $77,419.36 in his two games out of action. That’s a lot of jack but at least it goes to a good place with the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund. Still, if the Thornton wanted to give to charity, I’m sure he could’ve found another way to do it.
Next week’s GM meetings should have a bit more spice to them now with these rulings to discuss.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 5
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13