Nov 4, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Ed Jovanovski has done a lot of things in his NHL career.
He played in almost 1,000 regular season games. Jovanovski helped the John Vanbiesbrouck-led Florida Panthers make a Cinderella run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He made five All-Star teams and was a big part of the Todd Bertuzzi-Markus Naslund era for the Vancouver Canucks. Most importantly, he earned the puntastic nickname “Jovocop.”
Yet he accomplished something for the first time on Wednesday night: the talented but aging defenseman scored his first career hat trick against Pekka Rinne and the Nashville Predators. While I don’t think the goals were Goal of the Night-worthy, they seem worthy of recognition.
Oh, and not for nothing, but “Jovocop” is having one of the best starts of his career, with three goals and six assists for nine points in 10 games. Curiously enough, he’s in the final season of his contract. Just saying, folks. Just saying.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 27
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)