Nov 4, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Ed Jovanovski has done a lot of things in his NHL career.
He played in almost 1,000 regular season games. Jovanovski helped the John Vanbiesbrouck-led Florida Panthers make a Cinderella run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He made five All-Star teams and was a big part of the Todd Bertuzzi-Markus Naslund era for the Vancouver Canucks. Most importantly, he earned the puntastic nickname “Jovocop.”
Yet he accomplished something for the first time on Wednesday night: the talented but aging defenseman scored his first career hat trick against Pekka Rinne and the Nashville Predators. While I don’t think the goals were Goal of the Night-worthy, they seem worthy of recognition.
Oh, and not for nothing, but “Jovocop” is having one of the best starts of his career, with three goals and six assists for nine points in 10 games. Curiously enough, he’s in the final season of his contract. Just saying, folks. Just saying.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (78)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)