Nov 4, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Ed Jovanovski has done a lot of things in his NHL career.
He played in almost 1,000 regular season games. Jovanovski helped the John Vanbiesbrouck-led Florida Panthers make a Cinderella run to the Stanley Cup Finals. He made five All-Star teams and was a big part of the Todd Bertuzzi-Markus Naslund era for the Vancouver Canucks. Most importantly, he earned the puntastic nickname “Jovocop.”
Yet he accomplished something for the first time on Wednesday night: the talented but aging defenseman scored his first career hat trick against Pekka Rinne and the Nashville Predators. While I don’t think the goals were Goal of the Night-worthy, they seem worthy of recognition.
Oh, and not for nothing, but “Jovocop” is having one of the best starts of his career, with three goals and six assists for nine points in 10 games. Curiously enough, he’s in the final season of his contract. Just saying, folks. Just saying.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)