Nov 4, 2010, 8:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars goalie of the future is now officially a member of the organization. 2010 first round pick and 2010 Team USA WJC gold medalist Jack Campbell signed his three-year entry-level contract with the Dallas Stars. Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk is obviously excited about Campbell and his potential.
“Jack is a very promising player for the future of our organization,” said Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk. “He has a strong work ethic and we are looking forward to watching him develop as his career progresses.”
Campbell was rated as the top goaltender in the 2010 draft and the Stars were able to nab him 11th overall out of the Team USA development program. Campbell is currently playing for the Windsor Spitfires in the OHL. He was originally slated to be a member of the Michigan Wolverines in the NCAA, but decided to jump across the lake to Canada to play in the OHL instead.
With Campbell having three years on his entry-level deal to develop into the Stars starter for the future, it works out rather nice coincidentally that current starting goalie Kari Lehtonen’s contract runs out in three years. The timing should work out great and provided Lehtonen stays healthy while he’s in Dallas, it’ll give Campbell all the time he needs to develop into an NHL starting goalie.
It also depends on when Campbell winds up in the AHL or the NHL for when his ELC kicks into effect as well. Still though, if Campbell’s hot start in the OHL translates into winding up battling for a starting job in the AHL next year, things could time out perfectly for the future franchise goalie to arrive sooner than later.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)