Nov 4, 2010, 8:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars goalie of the future is now officially a member of the organization. 2010 first round pick and 2010 Team USA WJC gold medalist Jack Campbell signed his three-year entry-level contract with the Dallas Stars. Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk is obviously excited about Campbell and his potential.
“Jack is a very promising player for the future of our organization,” said Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk. “He has a strong work ethic and we are looking forward to watching him develop as his career progresses.”
Campbell was rated as the top goaltender in the 2010 draft and the Stars were able to nab him 11th overall out of the Team USA development program. Campbell is currently playing for the Windsor Spitfires in the OHL. He was originally slated to be a member of the Michigan Wolverines in the NCAA, but decided to jump across the lake to Canada to play in the OHL instead.
With Campbell having three years on his entry-level deal to develop into the Stars starter for the future, it works out rather nice coincidentally that current starting goalie Kari Lehtonen’s contract runs out in three years. The timing should work out great and provided Lehtonen stays healthy while he’s in Dallas, it’ll give Campbell all the time he needs to develop into an NHL starting goalie.
It also depends on when Campbell winds up in the AHL or the NHL for when his ELC kicks into effect as well. Still though, if Campbell’s hot start in the OHL translates into winding up battling for a starting job in the AHL next year, things could time out perfectly for the future franchise goalie to arrive sooner than later.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 1
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)