Nov 4, 2010, 8:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars goalie of the future is now officially a member of the organization. 2010 first round pick and 2010 Team USA WJC gold medalist Jack Campbell signed his three-year entry-level contract with the Dallas Stars. Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk is obviously excited about Campbell and his potential.
“Jack is a very promising player for the future of our organization,” said Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk. “He has a strong work ethic and we are looking forward to watching him develop as his career progresses.”
Campbell was rated as the top goaltender in the 2010 draft and the Stars were able to nab him 11th overall out of the Team USA development program. Campbell is currently playing for the Windsor Spitfires in the OHL. He was originally slated to be a member of the Michigan Wolverines in the NCAA, but decided to jump across the lake to Canada to play in the OHL instead.
With Campbell having three years on his entry-level deal to develop into the Stars starter for the future, it works out rather nice coincidentally that current starting goalie Kari Lehtonen’s contract runs out in three years. The timing should work out great and provided Lehtonen stays healthy while he’s in Dallas, it’ll give Campbell all the time he needs to develop into an NHL starting goalie.
It also depends on when Campbell winds up in the AHL or the NHL for when his ELC kicks into effect as well. Still though, if Campbell’s hot start in the OHL translates into winding up battling for a starting job in the AHL next year, things could time out perfectly for the future franchise goalie to arrive sooner than later.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)