Nov 4, 2010, 8:54 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars goalie of the future is now officially a member of the organization. 2010 first round pick and 2010 Team USA WJC gold medalist Jack Campbell signed his three-year entry-level contract with the Dallas Stars. Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk is obviously excited about Campbell and his potential.
“Jack is a very promising player for the future of our organization,” said Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk. “He has a strong work ethic and we are looking forward to watching him develop as his career progresses.”
Campbell was rated as the top goaltender in the 2010 draft and the Stars were able to nab him 11th overall out of the Team USA development program. Campbell is currently playing for the Windsor Spitfires in the OHL. He was originally slated to be a member of the Michigan Wolverines in the NCAA, but decided to jump across the lake to Canada to play in the OHL instead.
With Campbell having three years on his entry-level deal to develop into the Stars starter for the future, it works out rather nice coincidentally that current starting goalie Kari Lehtonen’s contract runs out in three years. The timing should work out great and provided Lehtonen stays healthy while he’s in Dallas, it’ll give Campbell all the time he needs to develop into an NHL starting goalie.
It also depends on when Campbell winds up in the AHL or the NHL for when his ELC kicks into effect as well. Still though, if Campbell’s hot start in the OHL translates into winding up battling for a starting job in the AHL next year, things could time out perfectly for the future franchise goalie to arrive sooner than later.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)